stall questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stall questions

Ok, I got quite a few questions about stalls that I am looking for the answers to...I believe I have a transmission leak from the area of the converter, and I may need to have work done there in the future...so if I am going to go in there, I mine as well stall it now...so here it goes

1) My car is a 96 camaro with the abbott N/A cam and bolt ons...I use it as a daily driver, and require it to continue to be a daily driver...I take it to the track in the summer maybe once a month I have read various torque converter company sites and the info they have on there...but what size stall do you think would be best for my application?

2) and more importantly...lets say I get something like a 3500 stall...When I drive on the highway, I only rev at 2700rpm...does this mean (because the trans wont fully engage until 3500rpm) that I will really be heating up the fluid and will risk damaging either the trans or converter when I am on the highway?

3) What is a good STR I should be looking at getting on my stall...I have heard that higher is not necessarily better as it means that the converter is actually less efficient up top, and you therefore loose more power up there...

4) what will I need to tune or change in the tune when I install a stall?

5) What are all the parts I need in order to have this job done...TC, tranny cooler, which gaskets? and what else?

Thanks in advance guys...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: stall questions

1) 3200 to 4000 stall, depending on how comfortable you are. You just have to give it a bit more gas than normal.
    2) No, you won't harm the tranny on the highway. The stall rpm is "roughly" where you can no longer brake stall the car. A TC with lock up will help.
    3) Can't help you there, no experience
    4) Just some tranny settings, lock up times, etc. Nothing major
    5) TC and tranny cooler's all I know of, besides the tools needed for the job. Need new tranny fluid and filter while it's al apart though. And while the trans is out, I really recommend getting a shift kit installed along with a corvette servo. It will not only make your shifts much firmer, but also extend the life of your trans.

I've been told that the ARH cam matches 4.10s and a 4000 stall perfectly, and almost bought a stall myself. Didn't get around to it because of the cost though.

Comment

1. The best sized stall would be matched with your gears and the powerband of your car. At this point, you should email the company you're looking at buying from and see what they suggest, along with sending them a copy of a dyno run. For a daily driver, a lot go for a 3200-3800 size stall.

2. As jimmysprinkle said, a TC lockup will help. The rpms will be based off of your gearing and speed. A good stall will behave like stock until you get on it.

3. I'm still learning about STR. This would be a good question for a seller based on your specific needs and goals.

4. As previously mentioned...

5. TC, tranny cooler, might want to look into a corvette servo and/or shift kit if you don't have them already. Maybe some other preventative maintenance.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I'm gunna email mr. abbott at some point this week...Im thinking of going with the TCI street fighter stalls they have...not too too expensive...Im not doing the work myself, it will be going into a trans shop..I gotta draw the line at the transmission...I think stuff can get really messy really fast with that stuff...

I can't get on a dyno anytime soon...cost wayyyy too much around here, and I am not tuned yet (in the process)

Im thinking I probably dont wanna go much bigger then a 3200 stall...Im still in the air about the whole thing...Im not soo sure about this "loose" feeling...I like how "tight" my car feels...but I also want performance out of it...and if I need to pop the tranny to fix something, I mine as well stall it now, if I am going to do it...

when I think about loose...all I can think about is driving my dads camry...man, you can mash the pedal to the floor in that thing, as long as you do it quickly and come off the gas...the rpms dont even flinch...the car doesnt even flinch...in my car if you so much as breath on the gas pedal...you feel it, and the rpms are instant response...thats how I like it...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

The "tightness" of a stall isn't based on the stall rpm, it's based on the str.
          Here's the deal, just rolling off a light slowly, you'll notice you have to give it slightly more gas to get up to speed. But if you mash the gas off a light, you'll instantly feel the car get rolling right quick (probably peel out as well). You want performance? A correctly matched stall will significantly reduce your 60' times, and getting off the line first wins races. Brake stall off a light, and you'll launch quicker than a manual.

IMO, with your cam and gears, I'd recommend a 3500 stall, email Abbott about his TCI streetfighter series, and tell him what ou have. He'll match you up to a perfect stall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X