tranny swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny swap

Is it possible, if I get a six-speed tranny and the pedel/master cylinder to put it into my 98 firebird v6 auto? Will it bolt up? I don't know all the codes and such or even if I have the original tranny.

Re: tranny swap

simple answer no
    if you have time and money you can have an adapter made and your driveshaft shortened so that the trans will even bolt up, then there's the part where you actually have to convert your car from an auto to manual
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=82112

then there's the part if your car is making enough power to push the gearing in the t-56 i think
    Last edited by Meatyshells; 02-11-2009, 01:17 AM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

no, it will not simply bolt up

and you are going to have to do a lot of engine work also, because your car doesnt have enough power to move the car with that transmission unless you want to constantly slip the clutch

edit* its about the same as starting out in 2nd gear all of the time.. which i can tell you will kill the clutch quick on a stock v6 camaro
      Last edited by cam98aro; 02-11-2009, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Well, suck. I suppose I'll just do the t-5 swap and when my v6 pops i'll swap in the ls6 with a 6speed. One question more, I'd wondered at one time if the ls7 would fit in the bay? I wasn't sure if it was based off the same block or not.

Comment

i believe that they are the same base, just different head and intake configurations, i.e. runner length, valve sizes, chamber volumes, but the basic block is the same.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

the ls7 is a gen IV block, im not sure if it is the same as an ls1 or not

im assuming that the ls1 stayed somewhat true to the gen1 engines, which would mean they use a 4" bore or so

i wouldnt be surprised though with those blocks, sleeving it to 4.125"+ bore could happen while keeping the same centerline (meaning that the block is basically the same, just changed internally)

there is more to it than just different heads

Comment

you would have to relocate some stuff in the engine bay to fit the dry sump oil system the ls7 has. But it has been done.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X