Transmission problems and shift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission problems and shift kit

Ok, I've searched and I think I've got this all straight, but I would just like to double check before I go buying everything.
    For a while I've had a somewhat delayed and slightly harsh 1-2 shift. This is because of a valve getting worn, correct?
    I was looking into shift kits, and I believe the Transgo 4L60E-HD2 says it replaces all the valves, this will fix my problem, right? what's the difference between the HD and HD2 kits? I see both for sale.

Earlier today I did about a 300 mile round trip drive, and on the way there I started getting a very bad shuddering in 4th gear, the trans kept shifting up and down, and it started revving without feeling like any power was hitting the wheels. this was at about 75 mph. I pulled over, checked out everything I could quickly look at, and then started it back up and went back out, and everything was fine. about 100 miles later I stopped for about 25 minutes to eat. When I got back on the road, the same problem that happened earlier happened again, but this time it through a code. I stopped for about 5 minutes, started up, and it was fine the rest of the day. On the way back the SES turned off and everything seemed good. Would the code show up in history if I got it scanned at Autozone? And is this another symptom related to the ones I mentioned earlier or is it a completely different problem?

Long story short, I'm planning on installing a 4L60E-HD2 shift kit(unless there's a major difference between the versions above) and a vette servo, will this fix my problems or will some still be there?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Mike

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot something. My car is a 2000 Firebird, so it won't shift harder because of torque management until I get it tuned, correct? It will still drive fine though?
    Last edited by TheWizardofOz; 02-08-2009, 03:00 PM. Reason: One more quesiton

Re: Transmission problems and shift kit

The transgo kit claims to help the p1870, which would be the code you would eventually throw if your valve is wearing out, and yes it does replace that valve in the valve body. When I did this i went ahead and bought the 1870 fix from PATC for 20 bucks and used it instead of the one they gave me with the transgo. it works fine with it, but i dont know that it is necessary.

I am not sure about this whole tuning thing, as i know nothing about this torque management (i have a 97, was that around for them???) but as soon as the kit is in you will feel a huge difference, much more fun and snappy.

Comment

Hesitations and struggling downshifts/upshifts are often a side effect of a bad valve body, along with the harsh shifts after the trans has warmed up.

I don't know the difference between the HD and HD2 kit. Seems as if most of those for sale on ebay are HD2. But yes, a shift kit and corvette servo would help out your trans. As far as tuning out torque management, I would leave that alone. I chose to leave it on my '99.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Thanks for the responses! You guys have confirmed what I thought and I will hopefully be ordering the stuff I need soon. And as for torque management I think I'll take your advice and leave it until I have my own copy of HPT and can try removing it, but change it back if I don't like it.

Comment

I got the HD2 and had it put in with a Vette Servo I think I went with 1 spacer. The mechanic also upgraded some of plastic parts with metal ones so he said. When I put the tranny in I disabled the TQ managment with HP tuners so far after a more than a year it has held up great. Shifts are smooth if you want them to be or you can mash the gas and chirp all the gears, mine does 2nd and 3rd. This is where HPtuners comes in on how much harder you want it to shift. Def. the way to go.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

my setup was slightly different, i went with no vette servo and 2 spacers. 2 spacers ftw, that 1-2 shift is awesome.

Comment

The guy that did mine said he tried using 2 but it was locking up something or making something to tight on a valve and he didn't want to use the 2 spacers so he used 1. Using HPTuners and setting the shifts at .200 is just about perfect.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ssms5411, you mentioned that you had plastic parts replaced with metal ones. Are you talking about the accumulator pistons? Because I've found aluminum ones and they don't look too hard to install, but I haven't really read anything about the plastic ones being likely to break. Is there are certain power level where they start to become a risk in breaking? They look easy to install, so do you think I should swap them while I have the chance or are they likely to be ok for a while?

Comment

I had it done out of the car, by a mechanic that does transmissions. I was going off what he told me he had done. So I'm not familiar with the insides of the trans, just alittle by looking at rebuilds and what not. But I a good running A4 is good for around 350-400 HP and will hold up fine. I plan on running about 350 rwhp with a turbo setup I plan on running so I'll find out first hand. But there have been many people running boost on the A4 and they hold up fine until they turn up the boost over 400 wrhp and it starts slipping. I watched the video that came with the HD2 kit and I would just recommend following it. I don't know what all he did with mine but he has been working on trannies for 40 years and had his own shop back east before coming out to AZ. So I think he did a good job, over a year with no problems, ran a few bottles of a 125 shot of nitrous and it held up fine.

Comment

Ok thanks, I don't think I'll be seeing 400 to the wheels anytime soon, so I'll leave in the plastic pistons. And I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get everything in myself, I watched the transgo video too and it doesn't look so bad (I say that now, in a week I'll probably have another post up on how I screwed my transmission haha. kidding!)

Comment

I did the shift kit by myself after watching the video. Actually took my computer along and checked the video if I ran into a snag. Really was pretty easy, and fun too. The only hard part was the servo on the side of the trans, just getting it out to begin with, and to do that I had my dad push on the trans with bar while i worked it out with a screwdriver/hands after that it went back in way easy. Just my .02

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X