Car shaking after new motor mounts installed - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car shaking after new motor mounts installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car shaking after new motor mounts installed

Hey whats up everyone. This past week was my vacation time from work and I decided to change the motor and transmission mounts on my car and change the oil pan gasket. The trans mount was bad it was split in half and needed changing. The motor mounts didnt look to bad but I decided to change them any way. I just finished putting everything back together and it shakes when I am at a stop. When i am driving the shaking seems normal but its when I am at a stop that the shaking comes back. I dont know if I need to break the motor mounts in or if I need to tighten everything down more I am not sure. So if you have any suggestions please feel free to reply. Later

Re: Car shaking after new motor mounts installed

I forgot to mention its a 96 3.8 V6 Camaro. Later

Comment

Poly mounts?
      Y87 Package
      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
      BONE APPROVED!
      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
      Team Black...TEAM EMO
      sigpic
      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Check and retighten the bolts and they are on correctly.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Does the Car only shake in drive and Reverse? Does it Shake in Park and Neutral also?

A lot of mid 90's 4th Gens have been known to develop a vibration in Drive and Reverse(my 3.4 does this). This has been attributed to various things and bad Motor mounts is one of them.

Are you sure the Mounts are tight enough? Maybe you could put the old ones back on and see what happens.

Comment

what kind of mounts did you use, and material?
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

thanks for the response guys. I used the replacement mounts from autozone. It shakes more when it is in drive or reverse not as mush when it is in park or neutral.

Comment

I've heard of cars doing that when the mounts go bad; I'd say either 1) they need to be tightened down or 2) you got bad mounts (which I HIGHLY doubt; is that even possible :P). What did you torque them down to?
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

how bad of a shaking are we talking about?

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
                    how bad of a shaking are we talking about?
                    The shaking can get kinda bad almost like if my feet where geting a massage. And I didnt torque the motor mounts down I just tighten them down as much as I could. What should they be torqued to?

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding and giveing suggestions on what to do. Last night after school I just changed the new ones to the old mounts and the shaking went away. I guess the mounts were either defective or just didnt fit right with my car. Well that takes care of that problem and now on to all the other stuff. Thanks again to everyone who responded. later

Comment

Originally posted by marvelrunner View Post
                        Thanks everyone for responding and giveing suggestions on what to do. Last night after school I just changed the new ones to the old mounts and the shaking went away. I guess the mounts were either defective or just didnt fit right with my car. Well that takes care of that problem and now on to all the other stuff. Thanks again to everyone who responded. later
                        how many miles did you use the new mounts with?

sometimes mounts need to break in a bit, i know with the poly mounts and stuff people feel vibrations for the first few hundred miles before things start to mellow out

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                          how many miles did you use the new mounts with?

sometimes mounts need to break in a bit, i know with the poly mounts and stuff people feel vibrations for the first few hundred miles before things start to mellow out
                          I have a 40 to 50 minute drive to work monday through friday and I drove all week back and forth from work and home and the shaking did not get any better so i just decided to change them. I was going to wait another week but just changed them any way and now with the old mounts on it feels like it should no shaking or anything. later

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X