Clanking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clanking sound

Alright, I have a clanking sound coming from the car. At first it only happened when I took off, so I figured it was a U-Joint. Replaced the rear one (abit worn, but not bad; front one is still good) and the noise is still there. Looked at the rear and can't find anything.....Now, the noise is getting worst; I can hear it when I take off, stop, and every once in a while when I shift into 2nd. I don't know how else to describe it as a clanking sound :P. Any suggestions?
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Clanking sound

its most likely the transmission mount

Comment

I have a poly ES mount, and last I checked it was looking good.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Comment

is your exhaust a little loose and knocking a little
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
          is your exhaust a little loose and knocking a little
          Checked that and it doesn't appear to be the problem. I could be wrong though; I do plan on getting a new muffler installed sometime soon, so I'll have them double check everything.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
            Checked that and it doesn't appear to be the problem. I could be wrong though; I do plan on getting a new muffler installed sometime soon, so I'll have them double check everything.
            take a look at where the exhaust goes through the driveshaft tunnel brace

it will bang there

Comment

Bump; still haven't been able to find a spot where the exhaust is hitting (if that is the problem), but the noise occurs more often now. Also, the car stutters every once in a while when I first take off, and almost always if I take off turning. I'm thinking either LSD problem (125K on it) or clutch problem. The rear axles have alot of slop in them, as in they can be turned quite abit before the diff grabs. I'm hoping to get a better look this weekend; might even flush the clutch fluid as I've heard that can cause stuttering too.
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Comment

If you have a over the axle pipe it could be the top of the Panhard rod piece that connects at a angle goign up to where the over the axle meets. 6r like on mine one of my brackets holding my rear brake cables came undone,lost he bolt off the 10 bokt also was rattling in the rear. Also for the rear did you ever need shims for the backing plates? If tou have no codes at it is stuttering it could be a bad injector, I had that problem before and wouldn't throw any codes. Or just a bad wire burnt through. Or check your spark plugs and coils. I think it is pretty it is simple to narrow down problems with the 3800, I have had mine over 13 years and replaced just about everything on mine,but it is alot easier to diagose when you have a fuel pressure gauge/ Vac/boost gauge and wideband, also Hptuners. It is alot easier when it throws a code or something to narrow it down.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i think the stuttering is drivetrain related; car runs like a champ other than these few problems
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Comment

can you explain the stutter?

also where exactly does the clanking sound like its coming from? and it only happens while taking off/shifting, not when hitting bumps? that sure sounds like a transmission mount to me, when mine went bad, it sometimes felt like i was getting clutch chatter, except 100 times worse, and my car would start to buck like i was driving a manual for the first time.. after i replaced it, everything felt so smooth, and i noticed that i was feathering my clutch a lot to make it smooth with the old mount

Comment

seems to be more oriented to the driver's side, but since I'm always over there, it's abit hard to tell :P. I've broken a trans mount before, and it's not at all like that; this sounds more like someone tapping on a hollow pipe (which makes me think exhaust, but I can't find anywhere it's hitting). As for the stuttering, I'm still unsure; the car's making alot of rattling noises on take-off now :(
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                        seems to be more oriented to the driver's side, but since I'm always over there, it's abit hard to tell :P. I've broken a trans mount before, and it's not at all like that; this sounds more like someone tapping on a hollow pipe (which makes me think exhaust, but I can't find anywhere it's hitting). As for the stuttering, I'm still unsure; the car's making alot of rattling noises on take-off now :(
                        when my exhaust was banging, it sounded like someone was taking a hammer and hitting it off of another hammer, like how they bounced off of each other.

check your rubber exhaust hangers, one might be torn, and making your exhaust hang a bit lower

Comment

You might want to check your balancer to see if it is bad. If it gets loader when under load then might want to look at it. Might be dry rotted from the inside. How many miles do you have on it?
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                            You might want to check your balancer to see if it is bad. If it gets loader when under load then might want to look at it. Might be dry rotted from the inside. How many miles do you have on it?
                            Harmonic balancer? 97+ have the metal ones that don't rot out I thought; I can't remember if we used the one from my new engine, or the one from my old motor, so either 125K or 45K :P
                            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                            A few things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X