Rear axle jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rear axle jumping

Not daily driver, but not race only either. W-e driver at the most with definit race purpose too. With swapped internals i'll be aiming at 700-800 hp so rear end must be able to handle that.

Problem is, and i mean that seriously, I really don't know a lot about cars and my mechanics now nothing about american cars and cars with that much power. So most of my upgrades are done via the break-and-upgrade path.

For the rear-end - I would rather not break it before upgrading :)

Pace, what do you think of the moser link I posted above (exotic performance webshop) ? It's very expensive, with the options on it'll probably end up about 3k, but then this probably solves all my problems at once. Or not ?
    Last edited by tutin12; 12-03-2008, 05:01 PM.

Comment

That is a beefy rear end; chances are it will hold your power nicely :). But, you will still need LCA brackets; the rearend has the option for relocation brackets and that's a must if you're lowered.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

husky rear end, lca's, panhard bar, shocks and struts, springs, remove front sway bar, a arms, sub frames, allum. driveshaft, torque arm etc......
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Sounds like you got a bad case of wheel hop. If you put in a posi in the stock 10 bolt and you happen to run slicks at the track, you will blow that rear end up. Its a 7.5 inch ring gear and very weak, not to mention it has c clips. I would definitely upgrade the rearend to a 12 bolt with c clip eliminators, S60 or the 9inch in your link. Moser Engineering and Strange offer rearends that will take the punishment. Moser just came out with a new Fbody rearend not to much more than their regular 9 inch. I'd also replace the lower control arms, add in some subframe connectors and use an adjustable parhard bar since your car is lowered. While your at the track use a set of sticky tires and a good set of drag shocks will help transfer wait to the rear, but they are not great for driving on the street. Good luck.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...torquearm.html
          69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

That setup looks like it's drag only. That's not what I would aim at, I'd still want to be able to drive the car or race at a true track (not 400m, but an actual track with corners).

Den69, would you say the other Moser option is better for my goals than the Moser M9 ? Or is the other one also impairing overall handling of the car ?

Comment

Nice car. Hopefully those LCAs will help with your wheel hop. BTW is that you on the hood in that pic?

Comment

Mmmmm, not that good looking :)
                That's my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by tutin12 View Post
                  Not daily driver, but not race only either. W-e driver at the most with definit race purpose too. With swapped internals i'll be aiming at 700-800 hp so rear end must be able to handle that.

Problem is, and i mean that seriously, I really don't know a lot about cars and my mechanics now nothing about american cars and cars with that much power. So most of my upgrades are done via the break-and-upgrade path.

For the rear-end - I would rather not break it before upgrading :)

Pace, what do you think of the moser link I posted above (exotic performance webshop) ? It's very expensive, with the options on it'll probably end up about 3k, but then this probably solves all my problems at once. Or not ?
                  I personally don't know that much about aftermarket rear ends. I do know that a lot of the LS1 and LT1 guys are happy with the Moser rear-end and also the Strange one. I also know there are cheaper alternatives out there, but do not know what their limits are or how much power they can handle. LS1tech may be a good place to find out more about the Moser and others.

As far as learning more about suspension, I'd advise reading through the modification encyclopedia, searching, and even checking out some of the other sites. It's surprising what you can find in old posts and the archives. I would also suggest that you try to get a hold of Sam Strano. He frequents LS1tech and you can either pm him there or contact him through his site. He can help you set up a suspension system based on your needs.
                  '99 Camaro
                  '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                  '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Either moser rear will handle your power. I'd make sure the center section is nodular iron and can handle 800hp. Stock ford center sections probably won't survive to long and you'll probably want 33 or 35 spline axles. I would email moser engineering about they recommend. My 69camaro only makes 425hp, and I have one of their 12bolts. I think its a great rearend, but if I were racing etc I would have went with the 9inch. Here is the listing of the different types of rearends available with the different options.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...stomalloy.html
                    69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X