transmission slipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission slipping?

i have a 97 firebird a4 that i have had for over a year now, when i got the car i changed the tranny fluid, and now about a month ago i felt the transmission slipping and changed it again with lucas additive, but it still slips. you can feel it when your just starting off in first, going in reverse up my driveway, and all throughout the gears between 1500-2000 rpm, i can feel the car slowing up and down but the tachometer doesnt seem to jump. Is there anyway that the torque convertor could be going bad thats causing this or is it the transmission?

thanks

Re: transmission slipping?

how many miles are on the tranny?
    01 Firebird A4 3.42
    Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
    and other mods
    Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Hi guy,first off when you change the Fluid did you change the Filter? If no then you should cause if the filter is blocked it would resist fluid to go through and the transmission will starve for fluid and slip and after a while the slippage would then cause the clutches to burn then eventually you will have NO DRIVE.
      Keep me updated on your progress

Comment

please drain the fluid and change the filter, hopefully you didnt ruin your transmission with that lucas crap

it is known to bubble up and ruin gears

Comment

there is only 117,000 miles on the car, and each time i changed the fluid i changes the filter too. How does the lucas screw up your transmission when its suppose to help it?

Comment

If you don't have a pressure gauge to check the fluid pressure,I think you should remove one of the lines going to the transmission cooler and put it in a clear container start the engine and see how the fluid look flowing out of the hose in the container it should not be dripping or just trickling slowly the flow should be strong,I prefer to always check before you change that's my policy.

Comment

prior owner may have driven the car pretty hard for the first 100,000 miles.

you did not pay somebody to vacuum flush the torque converter as well did you. that is supposed to be bad on high mileage trannies.
              01 Firebird A4 3.42
              Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
              and other mods
              Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase Walker View Post
                there is only 117,000 miles on the car, and each time i changed the fluid i changes the filter too. How does the lucas screw up your transmission when its suppose to help it?
                well there is two things.. when lucas first came out, it was ruining distributor gears/transmissions because instead of "riding" up the gears it was bubbling up at high rpm.. go to a napa/advance/pepboys/autozone and play around with their little display.. spin it really fast and you will see tons of bubbles inside

the next thing, all that stuff does is change the properties of your fluid, it is basically only covering up your problem NOT fixing it

kinda like how when racers start getting blue smoke out of the exhaust, they just put heavier weight oil in there which prevents the oil from leaking past the rings, but in reality did not fix the problem

Comment

well that must be why it slugs at low rpms because the line pressure from lucas is slow from it bubbling and making it slip thanks ill try changing the fluid agiain

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    3 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X