Going with Royal Purple in the AT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going with Royal Purple in the AT

The manual says to use Dex III. I want to use Royal Purple but their website says they make a product for: GM Dexron-IIIG and H. Does this work with our cars?
    2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Re: Going with Royal Purple in the AT

I don't know about Royal Purple but I've been using Dexron VI in my A4 which is synth. and it runs fine.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

there has been much debate, but lots of people say synthetic tranny fluid is too slick for the gears and such.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Doesn't synthetic have additives as well to keep all internals pretty much happy. At least that's what the guy at my auto parts store told me. I asked him what was the difference between synthetic and regular oil he just said that synthetic has some additives to preserve the life of the gears and it has about 50%-75% of oil in it. But you guys can correct me if I'm wrong; because i'm just regurgitating what that guy told me.

Comment

I doubt any company would make fluid for a transmission and then market it for a car maker specifically if there was a chance it would cause damage to cars. If that happened there'd be a lawsuit and they'd lose everything. I can understand why people might not like it due to viscosity concerns but I just can't believe that would be the case.

Comment

wait...im confused.

It says to use dexIII and Royal Purple has something called dexronIIIG that is made for gm vehicles and you wonder if it will work?

Or am I misunderstanding?

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post
              I doubt any company would make fluid for a transmission and then market it for a car maker specifically if there was a chance it would cause damage to cars. If that happened there'd be a lawsuit and they'd lose everything. I can understand why people might not like it due to viscosity concerns but I just can't believe that would be the case.

Have you ever heard of dex-cool?

Originally posted by kala
              I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
              parting her out

Comment

Originally posted by deftons56 View Post
                wait...im confused.

It says to use dexIII and Royal Purple has something called dexronIIIG that is made for gm vehicles and you wonder if it will work?

Or am I misunderstanding?
                Just because it's made for GM doesn't mean it will work properly in every GM product. It could be like having a LSD and putting in a GM approved fluid without LSD additive. I'm asking to make sure the G is a proper product for a Camaro AT.

What's wrong with Dex Cool? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post

What's wrong with Dex Cool? :)

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=89279
                  Originally posted by kala
                  I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                  parting her out

Comment

That's the craziest thing I've ever read. I've never had any problems with it. I replace my hoses every 10k or so because I don't want to have to deal with a leak in the middle of winter and I change the Dex-Cool when I do. Mine fluid always comes out nice and clean. I've never even had to change out my water pump.

Here's what the guys at Royal Purple say about the Camaro AT:

We recommend Max ATF for your automatic transmission. You will need 5.0 quarts for a pan drop and 8.8 quarts for a full replacement. If this is your first fluid change in your transmission, we recommend a pan drop. After 3,000 – 5,000 miles, drop the pan again; this will help remove any deposits or compound build up that could be in the transmission. If the filter was really dirty, you might consider 2nd RP pan drop.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      I don't know about Royal Purple but I've been using Dexron VI in my A4 which is synth. and it runs fine.
                      You must be using GM Dexron VI or Valvoline Dexron VI since I know Castrols Dexron VI is a synthetic blend.

Comment

Originally posted by jnxV6 View Post
                        You must be using GM Dexron VI or Valvoline Dexron VI since I know Castrols Dexron VI is a synthetic blend.
                        Yes it is Valvoline Dexron VI which is synthetic.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i use royal purple atf no problmes here!
                          2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                          1991 3000GT VR4
                          2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X