fabbing abs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fabbing abs

Ok, so as some of you might know I got the 3.90's installed along with a zexel torsen diff...well turns out I musta got a diff for a non traction control F-body or something...the carrier lip was about a 1/4 of an inch too short so my abs reluctor ring doesnt reach that sensor.

How can I fab up my abs to work...I've been thinking about how older muscle cars, or guys with 9 bolt rear ends do it...there has to be a cost effective way...any ideas? any experience?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: fabbing abs

On a car with a 2-series carrier, the reluctor ring is only about 1/4 inch wide. If you change to a 3-series carrier, you need a new reluctor ring which is 1/2 inch wide.

EDIT:

reluctor ring for 3 series 26029185

reluctor ring for 2 series 26014607
    Last edited by IDoVoodoo; 04-06-2008, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo View Post
      On a car with a 2-series carrier, the reluctor ring is only about 1/4 inch wide. If you change to a 3-series carrier, you need a new reluctor ring which is 1/2 inch wide.

EDIT:

reluctor ring for 3 series 26029185

reluctor ring for 2 series 26014607
      The 3 series carrier moves the ring gear mounting surface closer to the pinion about 1/4". The thicker ABS ring (GM's name) keeps it where the sensor can still read the pulses as it turns. It's about $30 list at your local dealer or $16 plus shipping from GMPARTSDIRECT.com
      sigpic

Comment

how hard would it be to swap in the reluctor ring now? would I or they have to remove the gears and all that or is it something really simple?

Comment

You have to pull the axles and carrier, And most of the ring gear bolts to get the ring to slip on. it's pretty easy if they can set gears up, they can just put everything back the way it came out.
          sigpic

Comment

I mean i know its easy for them, but as far as labour money now...Im assuming this is not a 30 minute job?

Comment

1-2 hours depending on who is doing it. Wheels , axles, carrier. Then a about 15 minutes to put the ring on.
              sigpic

Comment

ok...here is the picture of the problem...so apparently a thicker gear wont work cause its going the wrong way....

Click image for larger version

Name:	diff.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1535708

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                  ok...here is the picture of the problem...so apparently a thicker gear wont work cause its going the wrong way....

[ATTACH]2233[/ATTACH]
                  It,s not the gear, it's the part with the teeth behind the gear. See how it doesn't line up with the sensor in the top of the housing? The 3 series ring is wide enough to trigger the sensor. It goes from the back of the gear and hangs back passed the the surface the ring gear bolts tighten down too.
                  sigpic

Comment

I dont quite follow what your saying?

Comment

If the 3 series ring were on in the above picture, it would extend from the back of the ring gear where the 2 series ring starts now, And go passed the surface the ring gear bolts tighten down too. You wouldn't see all of the ring gear bolts. There is a photo of a damaged one in this thread.
                      http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=89618
                      sigpic

Comment

ok so just to confirm then, it looks as though that ring gear is the same thickness as mine except the extra 1/4 of an inch is in the teeth of it and it hangs out the side...so this ring gear should fit exactly the way my series 2 does right now, only difference is the teeth will hang over those bolts on the end there?

Comment

Yes. Same thickness just wider and will trigger the ABS sensor.
                          sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X