how hard is it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard is it

as much as i want to do the auto to manual swap i am considering rebuilding the 4l60e in my car. Dus any one know how hard it is to rebuild it? the last auto trans i rebuilt was an old th350 about 10 years ago.:eek:

Re: how hard is it

Well, I almost attempted it myself, buut ended up not doing so. I did, however, purchase the ATSG Rebuild Manual off of Ebay. Great and detailed manual...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATSG-Manual-for-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

hehe, if you want, I'll even sell you mine for $20 (Paypal) shipped...

Comment

4L60E's from the center support back are almost identical to 350's. The big difference is the front drum and the band. You need about $400 in specialty tools to assemble them right. And those tools only work on 4L60's and 4L60E's. Then there is that aluminum valve body, that likes to make valves stick in it.
        sigpic

Comment

ok thanks guys so i guess i might not be doing this if i need special tools.:( i just didn't want to spend 1200 to have it dun.

Comment

low mileage junkyard pull??

Comment

i have checked and all they have around here is 96 and newer.:(

Comment

4l60E's really arent that bad to rebuild.
                its the only trans ive ever rebuilt, so i dont know how hard it is compared to others, but if you know how to work on transmissions basically and know how to read a manual, its not bad.

you shouldnt need 400$s worth of specialty tools. that wil lmake it easier, of course, but its definatly doable without them

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlak121 View Post
                  4l60E's really arent that bad to rebuild.
                  its the only trans ive ever rebuilt, so i dont know how hard it is compared to others, but if you know how to work on transmissions basically and know how to read a manual, its not bad.

you shouldnt need 400$s worth of specialty tools. that wil lmake it easier, of course, but its definatly doable without them
                  I'd like to see you put the one piece Teflon rings on the back of the pump and on the input shaft with out the tools made to do it. Maybe your one of the guys that doesn't replace those? Just those two tools are almost $300. The other tools you need are the ones to put the pistons in the aluminum drum.
                  sigpic

Comment

well. i was told it was a 4L60E. i did it at my school in a trans class. then again, it wasnt for an fbody. I dont know how they make trans's, but im thinkin they make different ones with the same name or something.

also, when i rebuilt it, i dont think i replaces those rings. at least not to my recolection, it was a little while ago.

lastly. couldnt you rent the special tools? Ive never done the tool renting thing that auto parts stores have, but Ive heard of it. couldnt you rent them for cheaper??

Comment

I don't know of anywhere that rents specialty tools for transmissions. The only one you might be able to find is the spring compressor to assemble the drums. That one you can use C clamps for if you don't have it but it's a PIA. Internals for the 4L60's and 4L60E's are very similar. Sounds like you assembled a mule transmission that stays on the bench.
                      Last edited by bigbrian442; 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

gotcha. i have no idea what tools you can rent and stuff, just figured it would be an idea.

Comment

well i don't know what to do then.

Comment

Originally posted by 95PFB View Post
                            well i don't know what to do then.

Even if you bought the tools, execpt the compressor for the drums, it's still cheaper.
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah that is true, but where would i fined the tools? at AutoZone, or O'rylies? dus the alison trans use the same tools? cus i found a compleat kit on ebay!!
                              Last edited by 95PFB; 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X