I don't know what gears should i get - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't know what gears should i get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what gears should i get

which gears are the best with 98 3.8 v6 auto firebird and am going to do EATON posi differential

Re: I don't know what gears should i get

In the modification encyclopedia, they have a section on there that tells you about what gear ratio's are in our cars, and what are the best choices. Ita a matter of what your looking for. Do you want fuel economy, or a semi racing, but still good on gas gears, or just full on racing, where you accelerate like no tomarrow. Personally, I just bought a set of 3.42 Motive Power gears for my car, so I should have a nice acceleration, and it wont hurt my fuel mileage. Your car as it stands, if stock, has 3.08's. Id go with 3.42's if I were you and youll see a nice difference. Oh and to get the best results, whatever gear ratio you use, have your computer tuned to let it know what your running.

Comment

Originally posted by Blacmaro96 View Post
      In the modification encyclopedia, they have a section on there that tells you about what gear ratio's are in our cars, and what are the best choices. Your car as it stands, if stock, has 3.08's.
      Personally i would not trust the encyclopedia. My 02 camaro auto had 3.42's from the factory, and my car is not a Y87. Make sure you check the RPO codes on your door first to find out what your current gear set is, then go from there.

GU4 = 3.08
      GU5 = 3.23
      GU6 = 3.42

Though you are probobly correct Blacmaro96, i figure it only takes 5 seconds to check. I thought for the longest time i had 3.08's then i looked at the RPO codes on the door sticker and realized i had GU6 which are 3.42's.
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
        Personally i would not trust the encyclopedia. My 02 camaro auto had 3.42's from the factory, and my car is not a Y87. Make sure you check the RPO codes on your door first to find out what your current gear set is, then go from there.

GU4 = 3.08
        GU5 = 3.23
        GU6 = 3.42

Though you are probobly correct Blacmaro96, i figure it only takes 5 seconds to check. I thought for the longest time i had 3.08's then i looked at the RPO codes on the door sticker and realized i had GU6 which are 3.42's.
        Hm, are you the original owner of the car? If someone owned it before ya, they might of swapped those in the car. and does it have an LSD in it too?

Comment

Originally posted by Blacmaro96 View Post
          Hm, are you the original owner of the car? If someone owned it before ya, they might of swapped those in the car. and does it have an LSD in it too?
          Well the RPO sticker says they are 3.42's so nobody swapped them in...

Comment

Originally posted by deftons56 View Post
            Well the RPO sticker says they are 3.42's so nobody swapped them in...
            so you never opened up the differential cover? Dont go by your RPO code, physically look at your rear. We hada discussion about this a while ago in my other forums, and sometimes the sticker has RPO codes on there that arent. We had guys that had B4C on the sticker, but their car wasent a police car and such. So If I were you, open it up and look, plus this gives you a reason to change your fluid in the rear ;)

Comment

RPO codes are not wrong. thats retarted. you can get the police package without being a cop car my 02 came stock with 3.42

Comment

Originally posted by 98v6firebird View Post
                which gears are the best with 98 3.8 v6 auto firebird and am going to do EATON posi differential
                Are you staying NA or going FI?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
                  Are you staying NA or going FI?
                  Another important thing to consider when choosing gears....
                  Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                  Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                  Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                  Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                  Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

My 00 Firebird had GU6 and G80 without Y87 or dual exhaust. It was possible to get a car built with 3.42's and no Y87.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I just changed my gears on 99 V6 auto camaro to 3.73. You must tune computer for best results. I have a Jet DST Programer and it does it all.
                      Camaro V6 1999- K&N Intake System
                      - 3.73 gear
                      - Jet DST Programer
                      - Spark plugs (Split Fire) and wires (Taylor 8.5)
                      - Headers (Pace) and Y- Pipe
                      - Hi Flow Cat
                      :stp:

Comment

Originally posted by vfres1 View Post
                        I have a Jet DST Programer and it does it all.
                        Not hardly if you compare it to what you can change with HPtuners.
                        sigpic

Comment

^concerning this topic, it's sufficient for what he intends to do

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X