auto tranny problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto tranny problems

well i went to drive my car today and the car will not shift its going all the way to 6 grand and stays there. it was just fine yesterday and i havent had any problems with it b4. well i called a shop today and he told me that he doesnt think there is anything wrong with the tranny that is most likely the gov. what do you guys think? how can i test the gov? and where is it at?

Re: auto tranny problems

First, don't rev your engine to 6000 rpm or you will have other problems as well.

Two scenarios here.

#1 - Check the fluid. If it is very low then it will not move the car.

#2 - With a helper, look under the car with the engine off and as the helper moves the transmission shifter through all of the gears see if the linkage on the side of the tranny is moving. If it is then the tranny have an internal problem. If the linkage does not move then the cable might have disconnected or it is broken.

Post your findings and we will go from there.

As for "gov", i'm not sure.

Comment

Wait...

I just read your post again. Are you saying that the car drives but will not shift out of 1st gear?

I am not positive on the 4L60E, but it might have a vacuum modulator, that could be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
        Wait...

I just read your post again. Are you saying that the car drives but will not shift out of 1st gear?

I am not positive on the 4L60E, but it might have a vacuum modulator, that could be the problem.
        yah it drives it just wont shift out of first gear. but now that you say that the day befor it started do this i thought i heard a loud pop noise but i didnt think it was my car. could that have been the vacuum modulator?

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4 View Post
          yah it drives it just wont shift out of first gear. but now that you say that the day befor it started do this i thought i heard a loud pop noise but i didnt think it was my car. could that have been the vacuum modulator?
          I am not that familiar with the 4L60E. I can look in my service manual later to check. If you can get under the car you can look for it, maybe the vacuum line popped off of it. Again, I did not think that this car even had one, I thought it was all computer controlled.

Comment

some one was telling me maybe the main seal blew out what do u think about that?

Comment

a 4l60e doesnt have a vaccuum modulator. it is computer controlled

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X