auto tans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto tans

alright well I have a '96 firebird its pretty much all stock and I was wondering bout the transmission because some times it seems like it shifts a lil hard in first and second but not all the time I already changed the fluid and the filter should of been done to. But anyways I know there are aftermarket trans. and do they make a difference and where could you find some at

Re: auto tans

i could use an auto tan, im pale

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS View Post
      I think they just opend one up near me, LOL
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS View Post
        Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
        I think they just opend one up near me, LOL
        sounds good to me lol i get a little pasty working nights.:cool:

Comment

Alright, the stock trans will not hold up if you're harsh on it like I am. Mine was rebuilt when I got my car and only lasted maybe 11 months. Don't even think about racing on a stock 4L60E (that's the GM designation for all A4 trannys in F-bodys after '93) because it really isn't up for it IMO lol. you're local tranny shop can do a build-up/ race rebuild just make sure you do a few things
          1. Corvette or Superior Fairbanks Servo- Improves 1-2 and 3-4 shifts
          2. Transgo Shift Kit, I rec. stage 2. Improves the overall shift quality and makes it last longer
          3. A kevlar or now a carbon fiber band, they tend to be harder to burn than standard paper bands
          4.Alot of shops/racers that you talk to about a 4L60E will recommend that you put an improved sun shell in (they call it "the beast") as well as as cryo'd reverse input drum. Both tend to fail in high HP applications
          5. Depending upon your application/intention, possibly a 13-vane pump kit, so fluid is provided more rapidly
          6. Many shops now recommend against using 5-pinion planetary's that were found in Corvette Transmissions (4L65E)
          7. An upgraded 3-4 Clutch pack. These have failed almost everytime I or my dad has rebuilt my tranny. Raybestos Z-pak are highly suggested, and there are a few other from Alto.
          8. A 29 element forward sprag
          9. A good torque converter to handle all that power!
          The list goes on... if anyone wants my opinion on the complete race 4L60E just ask.
          Some sites offer Race built transmissions already, and gurantee them behind race worthy LS1's!

This is one of them, I think I'm going to try to buy a transmission from them. They do a race rebuilt tranny called the "700-E Raptor":drool:

Here
          http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm

A rebuild like this will go around $800-$1400 and that site sells the transmission for $2100

Sorry for length, lots of info to cover. Good luck!

Mine tranny's still out of commission...:rant:
          Y87 Package
          MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
          Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
          BONE APPROVED!
          VANBIBBER APPROVED!
          KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
          Team Black...TEAM EMO
          sigpic
          Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Did this answer your question?
            Y87 Package

MOGOB APPROVED!
            BONE APPROVED!
            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
            Team Black...TEAM EMO
            sigpic

Comment

if its pretty much all stock, he prolly doesnt need a race rebuild. Im assuming that hes not doing a whole lot of racing if its still stock.

Comment

yeah, but he asked about an aftermarket trans, he didn't ask what his was doing. If that's what you want to know, then I'm guessing that it's starting to slip, so the PCM is increasing the fluid pressure according to the input from the Pressure sensor...
                Y87 Package

MOGOB APPROVED!
                BONE APPROVED!
                VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                Team Black...TEAM EMO
                sigpic

Comment

ah. good call, didnt realize he said aftermarket

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
                    Alright, the stock trans will not hold up if you're harsh on it like I am. Mine was rebuilt when I got my car and only lasted maybe 11 months. Don't even think about racing on a stock 4L60E (that's the GM designation for all A4 trannys in F-bodys after '93) because it really isn't up for it IMO lol. you're local tranny shop can do a build-up/ race rebuild just make sure you do a few things
                    1. Corvette or Superior Fairbanks Servo- Improves 1-2 and 3-4 shifts
                    2. Transgo Shift Kit, I rec. stage 2. Improves the overall shift quality and makes it last longer
                    3. A kevlar or now a carbon fiber band, they tend to be harder to burn than standard paper bands
                    4.Alot of shops/racers that you talk to about a 4L60E will recommend that you put an improved sun shell in (they call it "the beast") as well as as cryo'd reverse input drum. Both tend to fail in high HP applications
                    5. Depending upon your application/intention, possibly a 13-vane pump kit, so fluid is provided more rapidly
                    6. Many shops now recommend against using 5-pinion planetary's that were found in Corvette Transmissions (4L65E)
                    7. An upgraded 3-4 Clutch pack. These have failed almost everytime I or my dad has rebuilt my tranny. Raybestos Z-pak are highly suggested, and there are a few other from Alto.
                    8. A 29 element forward sprag
                    9. A good torque converter to handle all that power!
                    The list goes on... if anyone wants my opinion on the complete race 4L60E just ask.
                    Some sites offer Race built transmissions already, and gurantee them behind race worthy LS1's!

This is one of them, I think I'm going to try to buy a transmission from them. They do a race rebuilt tranny called the "700-E Raptor":drool:

Here
                    http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm

A rebuild like this will go around $800-$1400 and that site sells the transmission for $2100

Sorry for length, lots of info to cover. Good luck!

Mine tranny's still out of commission...:rant:
                    How long does it take to install a Transgo shift kit? I had a shop quote $600 at $60/hr to do the install...

Also, would it need to be tuned with HPTuners to reap the benefits?

Thanks,
                    Rick

Comment

if you have hptuners it will only help. shift times can be adjusted as well as shift pressure
                      sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X