Installing my own posi/gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing my own posi/gears?

Ok, so I have some good mechanical inclination. Rebuilt engines, overhauled/rebuilt my old T5 tranny, etc.

I do have a nice dial indicator with magnetic arm/base from my machining days.

I know everybody says have a pro install your gears/posi. But really, what is it that people find to be so tricky about it?

Want to step up to a Torsen and 3.73's or 4.10's I think with tax refund coming. Figure I can pick up the gears, torsen, and install kit for in budget easily. As for tuning the speedo, not so sure how I plan to go about that. Unless somebody in north DFW has the ability.

Just something I keep toying around with. Right now I'm running and open 3.23, wouldn't mind spinning both tires for once, and getting a little more pep out of her.

Re: Installing my own posi/gears?

i have dun many rear ends and never used a gauge, and have never had a problem. no whining or anything, and i have dun gears all the way from 2.73 to 4.56 so i don't know what the big deal is either.

Comment

I've never done one, but most folks say its not hard, but time consuming. Sometimes you get lucky with the backlash other times you don't.
      69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

ok i for one dont understand gears at all.....so i have to ask where those #'s come from and which gears would be best to get overall better performance?

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
          ok i for one dont understand gears at all.....so i have to ask where those #'s come from and which gears would be best to get overall better performance?
          From what I understand...

A lower gear ratio will net you a higher top end speed, but lower acceleration.

A higher gear ratio (which people usually upgrade to) will net you a lower top end speed, but a faster acceleration.

Comment

so somewhere in the middle is good??? i prefer quicker acceleration...any idea the $ range??

Comment

ok i for one dont understand gears at all
              search
              .....so i have to ask where those #'s come from
              divide the number of teeth on the ring by the number of teeth on the pinion

and which gears would be best to get overall better performance?
              depends on how the rest of your car is built

Originally posted by 95PFB View Post
              i have dun many rear ends and never used a gauge, and have never had a problem. no whining or anything, and i have dun gears all the way from 2.73 to 4.56 so i don't know what the big deal is either.
              The backlash has to be set to within a thousandth of an inch. If you've eyeballed it everytime, congrats and have a cookie.

Originally posted by Den69RS96 View Post
              I've never done one, but most folks say its not hard, but time consuming. Sometimes you get lucky with the backlash other times you don't.
              Most of the time, you don't.

Originally posted by Crazed98Camaro View Post
              A lower gear ratio will net you a higher top end speed, but lower acceleration.

A higher gear ratio (which people usually upgrade to) will net you a lower top end speed, but a faster acceleration.
              those are both half-truths. The term "top end speed" has several meanings...if you mean "rev. limiter in the highest gear" top speed, then what you say holds true. If you're talking about "1/4-mile trap" speed, then what you're saying is completely and utterly false.

so somewhere in the middle is good???
              depends on your platform as a whole
              i prefer quicker acceleration
              then the taller, the better

...any idea the $ range??
              150-200 for gears, 300 for install

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
                search

divide the number of teeth on the ring by the number of teeth on the pinion

depends on how the rest of your car is built

The backlash has to be set to within a thousandth of an inch. If you've eyeballed it everytime, congrats and have a cookie.

Most of the time, you don't.

those are both half-truths. The term "top end speed" has several meanings...if you mean "rev. limiter in the highest gear" top speed, then what you say holds true. If you're talking about "1/4-mile trap" speed, then what you're saying is completely and utterly false.

depends on your platform as a whole

then the taller, the better

150-200 for gears, 300 for install
                appreciate all that quoting and info...thnx, answered my Q's

Comment

just a heads up summit racing has this thing right now that if you buy gears you get a free install kit or bearing kit right now...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

summit has some for 140 + tax and shipping and you need the install kit also.

Comment

You get what you pay for. If your going to get something that will last you, go with Motive Gear. Richmond is actually the manufacturer of GM's gear's, so unless you Mikronite them or Freeze them, they are gonna be as weak as the ones you have now, and we all know how 10 bolts are. and then to buy some SUmmit setup, what company do you think they bought them from, either Richmond, or a lesser quality company in bulk and that is why the price is cheap, so dont go for the deal, just let a Pro lash check the gears and pay the money, either that or just buy a used rear out of a Z28 or Trans Am. But if your goign with new parts and want gears, Motive gear is stronger, and the price is decent.
                      Last edited by Blacmaro96; 02-28-2008, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Summit branded gears are actually Richmonds. How are Motives stronger?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X