3.42 and 3.73 ring and pinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.42 and 3.73 ring and pinions

im interested in buying a new ring and pinion set for my 1998 firebird, it has a 2.23 right now and I cant decide between the 3.42 and the 3.73 ratio. If someone who knows could please tell me how much of a differance a 3.42 or 3.73 made on their F-body.

Re: 3.42 and 3.73 ring and pinions

I have a 3.42 set I bought but then decided to replace the whole rear end. So if you decide to go that route I can sell you the ones I bought.

Comment

If someone who knows could please tell me how much of a differance a 3.42 or 3.73 made on their F-body.
      the only thing that's really quantifiable is the difference in engine RPMs, which can be calculated here http://www.f-body.org/gears/

Also, you need to enlighten us on the overall plans for your car...3.42s would be the tallest you'd want to go, in certain applications...and, in others, 3.73 is too short. 1/4-mile benefits, which is probably what you're really asking, more depend on the driver.
      Last edited by Smoke Panther; 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

dont let gas mileage be a huge factor; i get better mileage now with my 3.73's
        in town. on hwy would be a diff story. do you have an automatic

Comment

3.73's are nice.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

My '02 has stock 3.42's, look around and see if you can find a car with them for sale and take a "test" drive, lol. Seriously, I'm looking at 4.10's tho... and there just happens to be some for sale in the 'for sale' section.
            FWIW, I don't think you'll loose any 'top end' either, you'll be able to pull alot of OD then, and with enough hp you'll gain top end in OD. Check out the calculator and see what I mean, compare the gear change AND change it from 3rd to OD.
            2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
            Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Wait....a 2.23....dang taht's a tall gear. Acceleration must really suck...

I say 3.73 over 3.42, but I went with 4.10 (1997 3.8 liter camaro). Generally speakin higher gear number = quicker acceleration but a lower top speed. Post what you have done to the vehicle and what your plans for it are and the guys on here, that know a LOT more than I do, can help steer you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by runtwrestlin
                Generally speakin higher gear number = quicker acceleration but a lower top speed.
                I've had 3.23s, 3.73s, and 4.10s in that order, and my 1/4-mile trap has only gone up with each progression

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                  the only thing that's really quantifiable is the difference in engine RPMs, which can be calculated here http://www.f-body.org/gears/

Also, you need to enlighten us on the overall plans for your car...3.42s would be the tallest you'd want to go, in certain applications...and, in others, 3.73 is too short. 1/4-mile benefits, which is probably what you're really asking, more depend on the driver.
                  so what do those numbers on the right mean? are they the mph for each rpm?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

^yes.

Comment

Originally posted by runtwrestlin
                      Wait....a 2.23....dang taht's a tall gear. Acceleration must really suck....
                      whoops, I meant 3.23

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X