transmission wont bolt up to the engine - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transmission wont bolt up to the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission wont bolt up to the engine

im really tired of making threads, but here goes another one. ive got the transmission almost in completely, but it just wont go in all the way. the bellhousing is maybe 1 inch or less away from the engine. the output shaft of the trans will turn freely by hand; however, i think the splines arent aligned, but im not sure. suggestions?
    1999 v6 Camaro M5
    Automatic to Manual converted
    Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
    !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Re: transmission wont bolt up to the engine

What tranny and what engine? Also what years? I know some trannys need to be rocked back and forth alitttle to get into place. If their the same input shafts they should go in.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Turn the output shaft as you push in on the trans. Make sure the trans is in gear. If it stops turning you know the input shaft has started in the clutch plate. Sometimes you need to lift up and wiggle side to side while pushing in. Don't worrie after you do 5 or 10 clutch's it will get easy!

Brian
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
        What tranny and what engine? Also what years? I know some trannys need to be rocked back and forth alitttle to get into place. If their the same input shafts they should go in.
        99 3.8l and 00 t5 tranny

Originally posted by bigbrian442
        Turn the output shaft as you push in on the trans. Make sure the trans is in gear. If it stops turning you know the input shaft has started in the clutch plate. Sometimes you need to lift up and wiggle side to side while pushing in. Don't worrie after you do 5 or 10 clutch's it will get easy!

Brian
        didnt know it had to be in gear, and thats a good idea to turn it while putting it in. too bad im doing it by myself:tdown:
        1999 v6 Camaro M5
        Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
        !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Should fit, I went from a my 96' engine M5 to a 02' M5 , then did a M5 to A4 02' swap.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah, sometimes they just slip right in and sometimes they're just a b!tch. :rant: Auto's are almost painless by comparison.
            BTW, you did use a clutch line-up tool when you put the pressure plate on right?:poke:
            2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
            Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Originally posted by Blue02
              Yeah, sometimes they just slip right in and sometimes they're just a b!tch. :rant: Auto's are almost painless by comparison.
              BTW, you did use a clutch line-up tool when you put the pressure plate on right?:poke:

lol yeah.
              1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

still cant get it in all the way, but i did make progress. bellhousing is about 1 cm away from the engine now. output shaft till turns, but its harder to. i have a jack under the crossmember and its jacked all the way up, but not bolted in. any ideas? im thinking its having trouble because the tranny is at a different angle then the engine.
                1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

Start some bolts in the bellhousing, but only snug them. Remove the jack, wiggle back and fourth, up and down while pushing in. Once the bolts are snug you might try pushing the clutch in and releasing it, sometimes that helps too if the disc wasn't aligned perfect.

Brian
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                    Start some bolts in the bellhousing, but only snug them. Remove the jack, wiggle back and fourth, up and down while pushing in. Once the bolts are snug you might try pushing the clutch in and releasing it, sometimes that helps too if the disc wasn't aligned perfect.

Brian
                    i got 2 bolts almost completely bolted down on the side that the hydraulic line comes out, but the other side is still not close enough for the bolts to grab onto the threads.

on a side note, i connected the hydraulic line and tried out my clutch but it has almost no pressure...probably because i drained all the fluid and had fluid reservoir disconnected when i was putting it in.. lol. ive read how to bleed it of air, but i dont really understand it, so thats probably gunna be my next problem.
                    1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

The idea here is to get it to go on straight. If one side is 1/2" away and the other is so far the bolts won't even start, you need to pull it back and start over.

I would make sure both bottom bolts were started before trying the clutch.

Brian
                      sigpic

Comment

O man, this had to be my biggest hold up when I was doing tranny work, I Could not get the shaft lined up just right to slide in.

I just kept pulling the tranny out a bit, wiggling it and tried again...

It CAN be a pain in the ***, another time it slid right in without any grief.

I dont think there is much advice on how to get it on, just continuously F' with it till she slides in.
                        *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

i *think* i got it... i ended up using a c-clamp on the side that wasnt going closer and kept turning it, i heard a few pops(pressure plate fingers maybe?) so idk what that was but it seemed to solve the problem. ive got the 2 side and 2 top bolts all the way in, but i had to quit because it got so cold last night. ill let you guys know though
                          1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98
                            O man, this had to be my biggest hold up when I was doing tranny work, I Could not get the shaft lined up just right to slide in.

I just kept pulling the tranny out a bit, wiggling it and tried again...

It CAN be a pain in the ***, another time it slid right in without any grief.

I dont think there is much advice on how to get it on, just continuously F' with it till she slides in.
                            QFT ! I don't know about using c-clamps to force it in. :spank: All that I've ever done went in pretty easy once you got them aligned up right. Snaps and pops generally aren't a good thing.
                            We'll keep fingers crossed though...
                            2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                            Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X