Rear Swap..everything I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Swap..everything I need?

So I'm swaping out my open rear end (3.23s/drum brakes) for a 97 z28 LSD with disk and 3.42s. So far I've got the whole rear end assembly. I figure its a good idea to change the fluid in it after we swap it out. So what kind of fluid is best and where can I get this LSD additive? Is there anything else I need for the complete swap?

Also, for those of you who went from the open 3.23s to the LSD with 3.42s..how much of an improvement did you notice? Thanks.

Re: Rear Swap..everything I need?

get yourself some royal purple.

i haven't done the swap myself. but i believe you have eveyrthing else you need.

you will see that your not going to pull side ways on a burn on since your not running peg leg anymore. but your not going to see a big jump since your only going fro 3.23s to 3.42s that's only 1 step up. it would be alot different if you went to 3.73s or 4.10s
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2088
      So I'm swaping out my open rear end (3.23s/drum brakes) for a 97 z28 LSD with disk and 3.42s. So far I've got the whole rear end assembly. I figure its a good idea to change the fluid in it after we swap it out. So what kind of fluid is best and where can I get this LSD additive? Is there anything else I need for the complete swap?

Also, for those of you who went from the open 3.23s to the LSD with 3.42s..how much of an improvement did you notice? Thanks.
      You can get the additive at dealership for 10 bucks or so.

Your going to need:

1. rotors and pads

2. rear calipers

3. rear brake lines, they are diffrent from "T" by differential to the calipers/drums

4. diffrent e-brake cables

5. Not sure what year your car is but somehow your gonna have to get your PCM reprogrammed to account for new gears.

Also, may want to paint calipers before you install,

Thats all I can think of for now. GL:tup:
      Originally posted by kala
      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
      parting her out

Comment

What type of royal purple do I need? Certain weight?

Also, can I just go to autozone or whatever and buy rear brake lines for a z28 camaro? Same thing with the Ebrake cable?

Do I need my PCM changed since its a 5speed?

My car is a 97.

Comment

Yes , you will need your pcm flashed for the new gears.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What happens if I dont? Wouldnt my speedo just be off a little?

Comment

It will be off a little, I think it is like 5-10 mph or something like that.
              And your tranny will explode.J/K
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Where are you located? Find someone with Hptuners and has a 97' program. So they can flash it for you.

Comment

Lol that would be nice, Terre Haute Indiana. The speedo will be off, but thats it right?

Comment

It won't hurt anything besides your speedo being off is correct.

Comment

speedo off, shift points off, and miles will pile on quicker with the speedo being off.

get it tuned for the gears
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

i wouldnt use royal purple, it's sythentic and is too slick for gears imo.

just use some regular 80w 90 with the limited slip additive. you can get it all at any auto store

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by crushedout
                          You can get the additive at dealership for 10 bucks or so.

Your going to need:

1. rotors and pads

2. rear calipers

3. rear brake lines, they are diffrent from "T" by differential to the calipers/drums

4. diffrent e-brake cables

5. Not sure what year your car is but somehow your gonna have to get your PCM reprogrammed to account for new gears.

Also, may want to paint calipers before you install,

Thats all I can think of for now. GL:tup:
                          Good list. Two things I will add as possibles: rear end seal and a set of end links.

I ordered my RP from summit. It should not be "too slick" for out cars.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

How will my shift points be off since I have a manual transmission?

What do you guys of think about getting a tuned computer from PCMforLess?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2088

Also, can I just go to autozone or whatever and buy rear brake lines for a z28 camaro? Same thing with the Ebrake cable?

Not directly, they sell regular beake lines that you will have to bend yourself and flare your self. Even if you go to dealer they will just sell you brake line that you have to bend and flare yourself.
                              Originally posted by kala
                              I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                              parting her out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X