tranny going...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny going...

i think my brothers tranny is on its way out, when i changed the tranny fluid it was grayish and now when he stomps the gas the car revvs really high for a whole 2 seconds before taking off all of a sudden.

My question is, are there any ways to save this tranny? I've heard adding things to a dying tranny will just hurt it but are there any kits that will help prolong the life or help fix the problem?

will a shift kit do anything? The true shift kit or the electric shift improver?

thanx

his car is a 93 3.4 camaro

Re: tranny going...

no leave the old fluid in there because it has the additives that are keeping it alive for the time being. if you put new fluid it eill break down faster. a shift kit will make it rougher and cause it to go out even faster because it blocks off the accumulator pistons and therefore causing dramatically higher main line pressure. just leave it alone and let it go out or rebuild it once again i only get on here once in a blue moon so email me at camarouti9407@yahoo.com for more questions.
    cant wait till my lt1 and nitrous.

Comment

hmmm well its too late for the fluid change =( i did it about a year ago for him, before i knew anything about cars and such. So there's nothing that can be done for it?

Comment

Originally posted by camaro9407
        no leave the old fluid in there because it has the additives that are keeping it alive for the time being. if you put new fluid it eill break down faster. a shift kit will make it rougher and cause it to go out even faster because it blocks off the accumulator pistons and therefore causing dramatically higher main line pressure. just leave it alone and let it go out or rebuild it once again i only get on here once in a blue moon so email me at camarouti9407@yahoo.com for more questions.
        change the fluid will help it not make die faster

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4
          change the fluid will help it not make die faster
          no, keeping the old fluid in will actually make it last longer.

Comment

convert it to a manual :D

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro
              no, keeping the old fluid in will actually make it last longer.
              no it will not that is a myth with no logic to it

Comment

is not a myth for me:( :( :( i've changed fluid on mine and make it die worse

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
                  i think my brothers tranny is on its way out, when i changed the tranny fluid it was grayish and now when he stomps the gas the car revvs really high for a whole 2 seconds before taking off all of a sudden.

My question is, are there any ways to save this tranny? I've heard adding things to a dying tranny will just hurt it but are there any kits that will help prolong the life or help fix the problem?

will a shift kit do anything? The true shift kit or the electric shift improver?

thanx

his car is a 93 3.4 camaro
                  the shift kit will not save the trans 'cause the problem maybe is the old slipping friction discs and brakes, a shift kit almost eliminates slipping by rising the pressure in the system, is a 93, it has the TH700, not the 4L60E so is no electric shift improver for your brother trans, a B&M shift kit/transpak is a great improvemen, so, if you're rebuilding the transmission you really want to put the shift kit/transpak :), i will do that to my trans that needs rebuilding, i'm almost secure that is on its last miles:( mine is a 3.4 camaro whith 4L60E

Comment

yeahhhh i don't understand half the **** u just said, but i already know its not a 4L60E, in fact it's actually a 4L60. And i already know what the shift kits do, i was just wondering if it could help at all at this point.

Comment

b&m makes a friction modifier called trick shift, its only about a pint of fluid and isnt thick like lucas so you dont gum anything up, just make sure you dont overfill it, always check it hot.

Comment

thats a pretty crazy myth then, because i know many people that work at car dealerships and when people get their fuid changed their transmission messes up.

actually, it happened with me, and i know the exact cause also.

which is also the same cause why i refuse to use seafoam in the crank case

Comment

Sounds to me like your tranny isn't developing the proper pressure until rpm is higher than idle. Either the pump is shot or there is excessive leakage in the hydraulic circuit. I would throw in an leak stop additive or use a tranny fluid that has a leak stop additive that swells the seals. That could dam any leakage in the accumulators or servos and increase your pressures, greatly reducing or elimiating your raised RMP launch.
                          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

looks like you got some good advice there, i dont think i can add anything but good luck with the problem!
                            1999 White Pontiac
                            A4, slp loudmouth, pacesetter headers, ws6 wheels, SLP cold air kit, wings west kit

:rock:

Comment

so you guys think a leak additive would help out?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X