Skip-Shift Emilinators - Good Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip-Shift Emilinators - Good Buy?

I've found out my '02 Bird (4-speed auto) shifts from 1st gear then to 4th for some odd reason. :eek:

I found out there is a skip-shift elim. to overide this factory setting, I would like to know if it's recommended to plug one in or does it really matter. I read somewhere that at worst, going from 1st to 4th is just "annoying".

Now I would imagine getting one will only help my acceleration but is there any downfalls of having one (tripping the service engine soon light and such).

If anyone has one or knows about them lemme know! THX

--------------

Would also like to say, as a new member I love this site and am happy i found such an in-depth source that pertains directly to the car i own

FirebirdV6.com OWNS :tup:

Re: Skip-Shift Emilinators - Good Buy?

i don't have much knowledge with the skip shift. What are you looking to do? firm up your shifts? You can pick up a true transgo shift kit for around 100$ and install that by dropping the tranny pan. you could go the cheap route too... for 40$ you can get the b&m electric shift improver which is 2 wires that tap into your pcm harness, it increases pressure in the tranny fluin lines to increase shifts. It also comes with a on/off switch which i like, i will be installing mine this spring.

Comment

Skip shift is for T-56 (6-speed manual). How do you know it's going from first to fourth?
      '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
      '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
      '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

Mr. Logger i was lookin more into it and i thought the 4 speed autos went from 1st to 4th. Turns out they don't... I'm still F-body newb lol

Comment

yeah david, look into the shift kits i mentioned if you want firmer shifts.

Comment

:bs:

:poke:
            Hell, I just couldn't help it. :-)
            Don't worry, I know where you're coming from. I hate the way my automatic shifts too. Sometimes it feels like it hits the rev limiter waiting for it to finally shift to second. Best I can tell HPtuners is the first thing we need for our car, allowing us to firm it up at more throttle and still have a soft shift on light acceleration. For me it's just a little steep for my pockets right now.

You might see if someone has one in your area though!:banana:
            L8R
            2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
            Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

the skip shift is for the v8 fbodies with the 6 speed, no auto.

4th gear in the auto is OD, so if your auto is shifting from first to that, you have a very bad problem, im surprised your car isnt stalling out or something.

Comment

I had to blink a few times reading this thread, though I smoked WAAAY too much this morning for a minute there. Ya if your somehow skipping 2 gears in an automatic, you have a problem.

Comment

must be some nice gas milage =]
                  1999 White Pontiac
                  A4, slp loudmouth, pacesetter headers, ws6 wheels, SLP cold air kit, wings west kit

:rock:

Comment

Or you could try putting some of the B&M trick shift fluid in it. We did that with my dad's 78 camaro (3 speed auto) b/c it was shifting sooo slooow, now it'll bark the tires nearly every single time you shift from 1st to 2nd (unless you really feather it. Easier to bark em than to not. It also has the B&M ratchet shifter, but i do'nt think that would actually make the shift firmer, but then again...i don't know much about transmission. But the fluid isn't that much.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X