Clutch pedal sticks then pops up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pedal sticks then pops up.

So just today I have a new issue to contend with. When I go to depress my clutch pedal the first inch or so is very soft and spongy with no real push back. Not how it used to be. After that the clutch works just fine, releases and hooks back up no problem.

But 90% of the time now when I let up on the clutch evne with my foot all the way off the pedal will get stuck halfway up at that same area I mentioned above. Half a second later it will make a noticable pop as the pedal snaps back up.

Any ideas? I'm guessing master cylinder?

Re: Clutch pedal sticks then pops up.

Air in the line. Bleed it.

EDIT: It might have a leak.

Comment

^ X2

Comment

No air in the line sadly, and the reservoir is full and has been full.

Comment

Empty the reservior and put in GM Hydraulic Clutch Fluid (p/n 12345347)!! And NO, brake fluid is NOT just as good!
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

^^I'm thinking that if his reservoir is full and there isn't air in the lines he already put in fluid.

Next thing to check is the pedal linkage. Something might be binding/broken. I've had a pin bind up on another car.

Comment

He needs to GET RID of the existing fluid, full or not. Brake fluid is a very poor substitute for GM Hydraulic Clutch Fluid. The seals need to be lubricated, brake fluid can't do a proper job. The difference was like night and day after I changed. BTW, this is a well known fact on the Corvette boards.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I also believe there is a spring near the clutch petal that is there to assist in depressing the clutch look to see if that is hanging up on something. I think you can remove it and it will just make the clutch a little harder to depress.
                -Brad
                98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                :rock:

Comment

I had the exact same problem with mine just last month. Eventually it got to the point where the clutch wouldn't engage at all. I replaced the clutch master cylinder and it's been fine ever since.

Comment

I think I know what he's talking about... it's only about an inch or so that it stays there, it's not actually part of the clutch that engages... mine seems to do that more during the colder months (like now) and i've noticed it a lot more. Maybe I should change my fluid out and see if theres any difference. As far as I know, the fluid I have is from factory, I've never changed it and I don't think the guy before me who owned the car did either. In any case, I think I know what you mean, and I haven't had any significant clutch problems. Change the fluid with GM hydraulic clutch fluid if it makes you feel any better, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Comment

Alright, update.

To top off the whole situation... there is a grindy squeeking noise coming from right where the tranny meets the engine. Like a grinding bearing sounds. The noise is always there now and greatly increases in volume when the clutch is depressed. Thinking it's the throw-out bearing?

Any way it seems like a problem. If I am going to replace it and I already have the transmission seperated from the engine I might as well replace the clutch and slave. Money Sucks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X