P1870 and More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1870 and More

My car has all the symptoms and problems that will lead it to someday throwing a P1870 code. I have experienced the slipping/hard shift problem a couple times, and know how to deal with that (sonnax kit and trans shop will solve it). But there are also some other problems with the transmission that make me wonder if they're just results of the P1870 problem or something else.

1. The car's downshifting way too much in Overdrive. It has trouble maintaining the current gear on any uphill slope and shifts down. Now, sure a car's supposed to downshift, but not this often. Granted, I do live in a hilly area (Northwest Arkansas), but this is a more recent development compared to when I first got the car.

2. The car has trouble shifting at times and hesitates. A lot of times on these uphill slopes, upon accelerating, it will try to downshift but hesitates a couple times and will then fully shift. I can feel and hear the transmission when it does this. It sounds like it's downshifting, but the tachometer doesn't drop and it has a higher/louder whine then normal, then it tries again and will drop to the lower gear.

3. This last one is a little more recent, and I only notice it when I drive in D (not Overdrive). When the car is at a lower gear and coasts down the hill it will shift (like it should), but the way it does often catches me offguard. The behavior in its shifting is what's different. The tranny will make no noise while shifting up, but suddenly the car feels like it's being pulled back for a second or two, then it goes on like before only in the next gear. No noise, no normal shift shock, just a feeling of being caught on something for a moment and then going on like beforehand.

I have also considered other possibilities such as the individual gears, or even the PCM. But I'm hoping it all can be easily resolved. Car will be going to the transmission shop during the break, but I'm wanting an idea of what else could be wrong before taking it in. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Car's a 1999 3.8 Camaro with stock A4 Transmission with approx. 79,800 miles.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Re: P1870 and More

I will be driving on a 180 mile round trip on Thursday and can listen/pay more attention to the transmission on the way down and back. So I can give a better description of the behavior on a longer drive after the trip.

Also, would it be worth it to look into a tranny cooler for a daily driver, or is that primarily for performance and upgrades?
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Have you checked the trans fluid? They act very weird when they get low.

Brian
      sigpic

Comment

I check it about once every month or so. It's been at a good level in the past few months, even though there is a small leak (barely noticeable).

I haven't flushed the fluid except for maybe when I first got the car, about 2 1/2 years and 20,000 miles ago. But I'm not going to mess with that. That'll be something for the mechanic to decide.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Is the converter locking up when your at cruse speeds? Could be a bad lock up solenoid. Does it shift second ok the same band is used for second and fourth?

Brian
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
            Is the converter locking up when your at cruse speeds? Could be a bad lock up solenoid. Does it shift second ok the same band is used for second and fourth?

Brian
            The converter does seem to be more noticeable when it locks. Just a little more "oomph" than it should. Not like shift shock, but also not like it used to. It is holding on to 1st gear more than it used to before shifting, so something's different. I also noticed today that when it's trying to downshift on a slight slope, the tachometer will raise about 300 rpms then drop back down. It will do this a couple times before actually downshifting. But when I stomp the gas to pass a semi, it's got no problems. :D
            '99 Camaro
            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Sounds like something inside is going south. If the p1870 code is present the pressure is pegged to help what ever is slipping not slip. That is what causes the harsh shifts and lock up. Sounds like the band is having trouble holding in fourth when you start up an upgrade.

Brian
              sigpic

Comment

The code hasn't shown yet, but it's experienced the hard shifts a few times. Luckily it didn't on today's trip, but hopefully those other problems can be resolved with the valve body replacement and possibly a different torque converter. I know there's a TSB or some sort of PDF around here that has all the official stuff. Trying to find it.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  3 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X