Finally getting 3.73's installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting 3.73's installed

Getting them put in Sat., along with my T/A cover. Can't wait. Going from 3.42's. Also putting in a new Torsen Diff. a mechanic gave me about 3 years ago. There's a Torsen diff. in there right now but it was used when I got it, so I don't know how many miles are on it. People with 3.73's how do you like them?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Re: Finally getting 3.73's installed

they were alright

Comment

I like 'em. Went from my 3.23's to 3.73's and thought I saw a nice gain (didn't drive the car until 10days after the install).
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

i like eveything about mine but the gear whine

Comment

Originally posted by black95maro
          i like eveything about mine but the gear whine
          then set them up properly

Comment

i would if i knew how......kinda sucks and i dont have the $$$ to pay anyone right now and i heard if i go to long with it like that u then cant get rid of it

Comment

That's why you do the install correctly the first time. If you keep driving on them, your gears will fail prematurely, costing you many times more in repairs than if you just did it right the first time.

Comment

i didnt install them so i cant do anything about it and all the guys on ls1tech said richmonds have a tendancy to whine like they do

its not a bad whine its kinda faint

Comment

Mine wind like crazy, and I had them professionally installed. I even had the guy recheck the bask spacing after my first drive, and he said it was fine, it must be the make of the gear. So, I just have to live with it and hope it doesn't fail pre-maturely :(. They're Richmond's too, IIRC.
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Comment

Def. need to do it right the first time, last time I got the 3.42 gears and the Torsen Diff. used for $150 including install, but he reused the pinion nut and it started to back out slowly. Started howling about last year, retightend it but the damage was already done. That was the only mistake though. He got it shimmed in properly to .008". I was there when he did that. I'll be there for this install to, since it will be on a lift I'm going to replace my power steering front seal. Also about the Richmonds, I also heard they do whine, thats why I went with Motives. They had the best remarks about being quietest.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by black95maro
                      i didnt install them so i cant do anything about it and all the guys on ls1tech said richmonds have a tendancy to whine like they do

its not a bad whine its kinda faint
                      Originally posted by RadRacer
                      Mine wind like crazy, and I had them professionally installed. I even had the guy recheck the bask spacing after my first drive, and he said it was fine, it must be the make of the gear. So, I just have to live with it and hope it doesn't fail pre-maturely :(. They're Richmond's too, IIRC.
                      Well, with my car, I used to have 3.73s. They were richmond brand gears, and they whined quietly. Did that for about a month, then in the space of about 4 seconds, the quiet whine went to a deafening shriek as the bearing seized, pushing the ABS ring thru the rear cover, destroying the bearing, and putting my car out of commission for a week.

but what do I know
                      http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread....73+gear+check
                      Last edited by Smoke Panther; 12-13-2007, 08:10 PM.

Comment

i love my 3.73's. good all around gears.

i've also heard richmonds are noisier. mine has a had a slight whine for a long time. everything is still in spec and looks good. if anybody is getting popping from your rear you obviously shouldn't continue to drive it.
                        Last edited by IDoVoodoo; 12-13-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I've had mine for ~6 months now, and they still wine. Not getting any louder or quieter. I redid all the busings in the rear, so they shouldn't be failing anytime soon. I hope.....
                          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                          A few things

Comment

mine have about 1000 miles on them professionally installed with brand new everything in the rear end when it was done with auburn posi and the guy that did it said the richmond gears whine he said he has never had them not and that there is no potential danger to my rear end from them.................and o ya smoke panther i bought those gears of u when u sold them for my v6 but never used them and ended up selling them on ebay

Comment

Got the car home today with the 3.73's, flashed the PCM before I left with the correct gear ratio for the speedo snd shifts, they did the heat cycles and everything for me. There is a difference, no noise from before from the rear and shifts quicker through the rpms. Didn't really get on it too much, letting the new gears break in a little. I like the GM motives, no noise. I would say a little difference going from 3.42's to 3.73's. If I would do it again I would go with 4.10's. Well see after I do the break in period. Then I'll get on it a bit more. So far so good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X