Torsen took a dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsen took a dump

So my rear end has been popping when making slow sharp turns and I opened it up today and found this.... how bad is it? can I drive on this thing for a while if I'm nice to it? what would cause this to happen?

Left spider is a little gaudid up....

aswell as the worm gear.....

and this are the parts that fell out....

Re: Torsen took a dump

I'd think that when you've got chunks of metal in your hand, repairs are needed.....and fast.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Chunks of metal = bad. :P

Comment

ya if you keep driving like that your ring and pinion are going to become nothing more than paperweights.

Comment

i know nothing of the rear end......lol........but that looks expensive to fix.
          1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro
          - K&N Filter, Pacesetter Headders, MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flo Cat, FlowMaster 80 Series, PowerDyne Supercharger@9Psi More 2 Come

Comment

I think you did to many burnouts, now your seeing the results of them. I think you need a new posi or try to find the parts to rebuild the inside of your torsen.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I thought the torsen was non serviceable?

Comment

I'm pretty sure they are but most shops charge alot to rebuild them, in the pics it looks like you said chunks from the worm gear. If you look at the sticky above for the Torsen Diff., click on the links and it will show you the insides of the Torsen Diff. and all the gears inside it. Most likely it would be cheaper to buy another LSD. I looked online before for shops that rebuild Torsen Diff. and they were pretty high on their prices. I'm waiting to redue mine with some 3.73's , but mine is due to the pinion nut backing out, because the guy that put mine in the last time reused the same nut (Dumb @ss), so it back out and after almost 3 years now it howling pretty bad now. So I just got some new GM Motive 3.73's pinion and gears to replace the 3.42's. Also a rebuild kit with new bearings,seals, pinion nut, crush sleeve and a T/A cover to go back in. I'm waiting for a mechanic to get so free time to put them in. But your situation is worse than mine. Have you cleaned the case all out and put it back together to see if it still works?
                Last edited by ssms5411; 12-12-2007, 06:19 PM.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
                  I'm pretty sure they are but most shops charge alot to rebuild them, in the pics it looks like you said chunks from the worm gear. If you look at the sticky above for the Torsen Diff., click on the links and it will show you the insides of the Torsen Diff. and all the gears inside it. Most likely it would be cheaper to buy another LSD. I looked online before for shops that rebuild Torsen Diff. and they were pretty high on their prices. I'm waiting to redue mine with some 3.73's , but mine is due to the pinion nut backing out, because the guy that put mine in the last time reused the same nut (Dumb @ss), so it back out and after almost 3 years now it howling pretty bad now. So I just got some new GM Motive 3.73's pinion and gears to replace the 3.42's. Also a rebuild kit with new bearings,seals, pinion nut, crush sleeve and a T/A cover to go back in. I'm waiting for a mechanic to get so free time to put them in. But your situation is worse than mine. Have you cleaned the case all out and put it back together to see if it still works?

I know were your coming from there, been there and done that too.... no I haven't put it back together yet cause I'm watching one on ebay but it was working fine before just popping thats all... still locked and everything. Thats what I'm hoping for tho just to get me buy until I can fix it right.

Comment

Good luck.I bought one of someone on LS1tech and they screwed me (never sent it) and now I'm in the paypal claims and had to file an internet crime report. Stupid me, always go through EBAY or paypal won't do ****.

Comment

if you are really concerned just go find a rear end out of a ta or z28 with 3.42 or 3.23 and swap the whole thing, alot easier IMO.
                      -Brad
                      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                      :rock:

Comment

No way this Is a rear out of a Z28 but I also put in 3.73 gears already....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X