hmm rear end locked up ...help!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm rear end locked up ...help!?

so its been making a little sound for a while now but as soon as i got home it locked up going into my drive way...lucky ..i know...im not sure what to do....do it myself or have somebody do it ...or what messed it up in the first place...does any body have suggestions ??

Re: hmm rear end locked up ...help!?

I would think either a pinion bearing locked up or something in the carrier broke and got stuck in the ring and pinion gears. Pull the cover off and look.

Brian
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
      Pull the cover off and look.
      ^do that and then get back to us. It could be any number of things with the vague description you gave us

Comment

ok so i found out im gonna need a differential not the shafts or ring and pinion...where is a good place or web site to get one at?

Comment

ebay.com
          tacreationsusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JDavila
            ok so i found out im gonna need a differential not the shafts or ring and pinion...where is a good place or web site to get one at?

What was causing the rear to lock up? Did you inspect every tooth on the ring gear?

Brian
            sigpic

Comment

im learning parts as i follow up an do research on this....so give me a break on labeling the parts actual name... but the spider gearing shaft was broke and was causing the spider gears to lock up... the retaining bolt that holds the pin in is gone ... and the holes for the shaft is hollowed out so the differential carrier need to be replaced and the spider grears need to be replaced....if im wrong please correct me.. but i believe on what im reading.. im comming up with we have 28 splines for our shafts? because im seeing places that have 26 28 and 30... but im seeing 28 for a 99 camaro... just want to make sure

Comment

28 spline is correct. You need to know what series carrier you need to buy. 3.08 gears use a 2 series and 3.23 and 3.42 use a 3. Good time to put in a LSD.

Brian
                sigpic

Comment

also im seeing that people are saying that a 7.5 10 bolt posi is pretty much the same as our 7.625 ten bolt ...is this true are they interchangeable since they are both 28 spline?

Comment

If they are both 28 spline then they are interchangeable.The only difference is the ring gear is 1/8 " larger.7.5 and 7.625 gear sets interchange too.

Brian
                    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X