12 bolt rear-end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 bolt rear-end

I always hear that the rear-end of F-bodies is the weakest point. I was wondering at what point horsepower wise does this need to be swapped out for a stronger rear-end. Guys on LS1Tech say the entire job costs about $2000-$2500...making me really not want to do it. I plan on running around 350 wheel horsepower when all my modding is said and done, forced induction. I'm getting 18x9.5 rims with performance tires, so they'll have some good stick to them. Am I going to be in danger of breaking my stock rear-end if I get a good launch? I have a '99 Firebird Y87. I never hear any talk about it on this forum, so I'm hoping that the answer is no...

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Re: 12 bolt rear-end

no u dont need it...a 10 bolt can hold that....get a ta girdle and stud kit for it and u should b fine

87 Firebird RIP
    96 Camaro RS RIP
    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

you're not in any danger of breaking a 10-bolt. Get the TA girdle and call it a day

Comment

I broke my 10 bolt and my car is stock. If you plan on being hard and racing from a dig alot you may want to upgrade. But because of money you may want to wait to upgrade once you do brake something.
        Originally posted by kala
        I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
        parting her out

Comment

If you actually plan on keeping the car for a while, upgrading and drag racing a lot, a 12 bolt will be needed sooner or later (but not for only 350 whp). However, I would spend the money elsewhere though, as having an upgrade that expensive won't even really show until you start making some serious power.

Also, sticks are much more prone to breaking 10 bolts, but an auto can too.

Comment

so the general consensus is that ill be fine? this is really good news. its a stick too. yeah, i figure ill upgrade once / if it breaks. but if i did decide to do some upgrading for strength, what parts should i get? silverrs, you said a T/A girdle and stud kit, explain please.
            Last edited by 99BlackW68; 12-06-2007, 10:48 AM.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

these are the same thing just a lil cheaper due to it being the summit brand.....http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Comment

oh ok yeah i got ya. thanks a lot you guys.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

[QUOTE=crushedout]I broke my 10 bolt and my car is stock.QUOTE]
                  how many miles do u have on ur car and who drove it b4 u? im not gonna say that its not gonna break...but 350hp is not somethin that is gonna break a 10 bolt with a ta girdle on it

87 Firebird RIP
                  96 Camaro RS RIP
                  94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                  02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by crushedout
                    I broke my 10 bolt and my car is stock. If you plan on being hard and racing from a dig alot you may want to upgrade. But because of money you may want to wait to upgrade once you do brake something.

He is not the only one my car only had like 30k on it and I have broken two 10 bolts with just intake and exhaust once it split the whole diff right down the middle, the other time it killed the spider gears on the alburn style LSD now I have a Torsen no problems (yet)..... however a 5 speed car is much harder on the driveline.

Comment

what trans do you have?

350 wheel hp is gonna eat up a manual tranny faster than the rear. Also manual trans are harsher on the rears usually. but yea you don't need a 12 bolt for your goals
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

if your car is automatic I wouldn't worry about it. if it's a manual then i'd keep it in mind but unless you're racing at the strip have fun on the street. our cars don't hook up with that much power anyways.

Originally posted by SilverRS96
                        but 350hp is not somethin that is gonna break a 10 bolt with a ta girdle on it
                        ta girdles don't do that much to help. my buddy has a TA making 360 to the ground through a T56 and he snapped 7 teeth and the carrier...it'll happen...
                        1995 Firebird 3.4 V6 M5<br />-Firehawk 17x9 w/275/40/ZR17, flowmaster 80s, high-flow cat<br />*new* BMR lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, WS.6 sway bars, polyurethane bushings.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird31
                          if your car is automatic I wouldn't worry about it. if it's a manual then i'd keep it in mind but unless you're racing at the strip have fun on the street. our cars don't hook up with that much power anyways.

ta girdles don't do that much to help. my buddy has a TA making 360 to the ground through a T56 and he snapped 7 teeth and the carrier...it'll happen...
                          that is false about ta girdles not helping, they do help beef up the rear end. Anyone looking to make their 10bolt last longer knows to put a ta girdle on it
                          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRS96
                            how many miles do u have on ur car and who drove it b4 u? im not gonna say that its not gonna break...but 350hp is not somethin that is gonna break a 10 bolt with a ta girdle on it
                            She had some miles on her, like 150k, and about 80k were me. Most are highway with trips from Va Beach to Ohio frequently and then 1 hour, one way commute to work for a good bit. I was rough on her the first 2 years or so but when it broke I wasn't being hard at all, it was all the times before that had weekend the rear. Just saying if he plans on abusing the rear it will break. I've heard of pleanty of stock V8's breaking rears and they dont even have 300HP to the wheels and he wants 350 at wheels.
                            Originally posted by kala
                            I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                            parting her out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X