I feal really dumb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feal really dumb!

So on a side note I have been searching for a LSD for a while now; ok so today I was just looking through the Tech Database today on my 2000 camaro, so i decide to look up some of the RPO codes and was shocked to find out that I have a LSD already installed from the factory wiht 3.42 gears!:banana: I have had this car in my possession for 2 years and all this time I didnt even know!!! So I called my local chevy dealer to confirm this and they looked up the VIN and the guy confirmed it! wtf?

Anywho so now my question is what kind of carrier is it? Is it a Zexel or a Aburn? I was going to have a shop install the the new gears and LSD, but since i now know i have 3.42s ill just step it up to 3.73, I know I can do the new gear install my self, but should i let the shop do it? Also do i need one of those gear install kits to do it?

Re: I feal really dumb!

it's a zexel

if you haven't done a gear install before it's gonna be pretty difficult. I ended up doing mine and didn't save any money, but I guess I know how to do it now.

yup, you need an install kit

Comment

I bought an entire rear end with an auburn posi and after looking into just swapping the gears and carrier quickly changed my mind to just swapping rear ends. Setting pinion depth and backlash on a gear set is not my idea of a fun-filled day.

Comment

Originally posted by Black98Fivespeed
        Setting pinion depth and backlash on a gear set is not my idea of a fun-filled day.
        yup, if you're off by a hundredth of an inch, your car will be on a flatbed shortly

Comment

I agree you will be better off letting someone else do it...

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
            yup, if you're off by a hundredth of an inch, your car will be on a flatbed shortly

Yep, backlash and pinion depth settings are in the .0001 of an inch. Backlash has to be with in .0004. pinion depth with in .0003. It can cost you more in the right tools than to pay a shop if your only going to do one rear. If you don't have the right tools, You can turn your brand new gears into junk.

Brian
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
              Yep, backlash and pinion depth settings are in the .0001 of an inch. Backlash has to be with in .0004. pinion depth with in .0003. It can cost you more in the right tools than to pay a shop if your only going to do one rear. If you don't have the right tools, You can turn your brand new gears into junk.

Brian
              I did save just a few dollars. If you take your time and do your homework it's definately possible. Why modify your car if you can't do the work, that's half the fun.

Comment

I wouldn't waste time going from 3.42 to 3.73, but thats me.

I would take the money and dump in a 3500 stall :)

Comment

ya, you won't see that big of a difference going from 3.42 to 3.73's. Wouldn't be worth it, IMO. Now, if you wanted to put 4.10's in there, that'd be different :D Is it m5 or a4? If m5, I'd get a short throw and short stick; if a4, a shift kit, new converter, or even a ratcheting shifter would be nice.
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

If its an M5 and your actually racing it, hell, go 4.30s! :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X