New Rear End!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rear End!!

Finally got around to putting in my new rear end this weekend. 99 Zexel with 3.42 gears :rock: Went fairly smoothly, I found I could stick 3 fingers through the torque arm bushing (replaced with a poly one). Painted the coil springs and panhard rod with some 316 stainless paint (it actually contains powdered 316 ss). The center support on the driveshaft was also completly shot. The blue on the calipers and diff cover are much darker than they appear, the topcoat is kind of transluscent. The car now hooks up much better, can't wait to get it on dry pavement to really try it out. Just snowed 8-12 inches last night. Here are a few pics.

Re: New Rear End!!

Comment

nice man i just did the same swap except i did 3.73. how is the whole axle so clean and free of rust it looks really good, also is that an aluminum rear diff. cover

Comment

POR15! Great stuff. I wirebrushed the axle then hit it with 2 coats of the POR (paint over rust). Yes it's an aluminum diff cover, I just painted it the same color as the calipers.

Comment

looks good...isnt that hard of a swap...so i dunno y people r afraid of it....took me and a buddy 6hrs to do with stoppin to eat dinner

87 Firebird RIP
          96 Camaro RS RIP
          94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRS96
            looks good...isnt that hard of a swap...so i dunno y people r afraid of it....took me and a buddy 6hrs to do with stoppin to eat dinner
            That's what i thought it was going to be. But turns out it took forever. Just changing the torque arm bushing took a little over 3 hours. The bolts were so tight I couldn't budge em for the longest time, without risk of stripping em, which would have been great. So it took me 2 days to swap it, everything that could have gone wrong did. Then the 3rd day was just trying to get the brakes to work. Single flares wouldn't hold up, so I went and bought a double flare tool, which did 2 f'd up flares that would not work, then broke. Had to replace the drivers side line, and took both of them to a shop to get em flared. They couldn't get one of em straight either. It was a wonderful experience. I wish it would have only taken 6 hours. I did spend some time to strip the rust off the springs and panhard rod so I could paint them.

Comment

Sounds like you had almost same amount of problems I did. I now need to take car to brake shop so they can get the e-brake to quit binding up. :rant:
              Originally posted by kala
              I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
              parting her out

Comment

now that sucks to hear...but u can say its done now...

87 Firebird RIP
                96 Camaro RS RIP
                94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Hmm, I think I've got one of those 3 finger torque arm bushings too. turn out to pass and kick it and the rear just feels sloppy, not to mention the wheel hop. So, how does it feel now?
                  2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                  Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Originally posted by Blue02
                    Hmm, I think I've got one of those 3 finger torque arm bushings too. turn out to pass and kick it and the rear just feels sloppy, not to mention the wheel hop. So, how does it feel now?
                    Well, before I replaced it, the transmission felt like it was gonna jump though the floor when I stomped on it. Now it's solid again, I love it. Between the new stiffer bushing everywhere and the bigger sway bar it seems to take the corners much better.

Comment

im going to be doing a z28 rear end swap into my car. it has disc brakes. mine has drums. what am i going to need to do the swap? if anyone has any pics of everything they did post them.

Comment

nice work man, i've got my posi and 3.73's just about ready to install along with an alum d/s too. let us know how the 3.42's feel.

looks like those rotors could've used an upgrade while you were in there too...
                        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                        gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

You will need the disc brake cables for the calipers, thats all I can think of. Also is it the same rear as you have now a 3 or 4 channel? What year is your car and what year is the rear coming from?
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

well i can take anything i want from the parts car. so hopefully i can get everything ill need. and my car is a 93 v6 and the car its coming out of. is between 93 and 97. i think its a 95. i dont know what you mean by 3 or 4 channel. never dealt with these rear ends before. only s10s

Comment

Make sure you get the parking brake cables, 95' just make sure it doesn't have traction control. The 4 channels I think are the ones with traction control.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X