Leaking differential.. please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking differential.. please help

So I had that whining rear diff. I changed fluid and gasket and the next day it was fine. Then it appears that all the fluid drained out onto my driveway last night and it is whining now again. I scraped off the old gasket and used sealant. I replaced the grain plug and made sure all the bolts were tight. Is there someone else the fluid could be leaking from. It is not a cheap fluid change and I hate having to keep do it. Is there any suggestions from you all as to what I should look for when i jack my car up today?

Re: Leaking differential.. please help

If it is not leaking from the cover, look to see if it is leaking on the other side where the driveshaft is.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

the only other place it could be leaking from is the pinion.

Comment

Jack the front up with the rear so that its level... then look. If you only jack up the rear then it could trail in an akward path and confuse you.
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Did you use a torque wrench on the cover bolts?
          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by gonzoflick
            So I had that whining rear diff. I changed fluid and gasket and the next day it was fine. Then it appears that all the fluid drained out onto my driveway last night and it is whining now again. I scraped off the old gasket and used sealant. I replaced the grain plug and made sure all the bolts were tight. Is there someone else the fluid could be leaking from. It is not a cheap fluid change and I hate having to keep do it. Is there any suggestions from you all as to what I should look for when i jack my car up today?

GM mechanic trick - use two GM gaskets, mine never leaked.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
              the only other place it could be leaking from is the pinion.
              Thats what I was trying to think of saying.LOL
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X