Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding noise around shifter

97 3.8 5 speed

There is a grinding noise that has slowly worsened which from the sounds of it is coming from the shifter/transmission area. It is particularly loud when in 4th or 5th gear under acceleration. When the gas pedal is released the noise disappears. When I accelerate the grinding noise returns. Unless I drop it into 3rd or a different gear. Any ideas on this?

Re: Grinding noise around shifter

i think i know what you are talking about.. my car does it too, im not too worried about it though.
    maybe its low on fluid or something

Comment

Yes I can see a leak. There is fluid on the transmission when I look at it from under the car. This noise tends to go away depending on if I'm pressing in on the clutch or not.

Comment

My car does it too (5 spd) under load. I have the Pro 5.0 shifter in it, and it made it quite a bit louder. I'm not worried about it though, it just sounds like the gears are under load (when you hit the gas).

Now, my 2nd gear synchro... that's another story... :banana:

Comment

same problem in my car dude, its your gears (in your diff) have them changed. if you let it sit like that, eventually it will basically blow the hell up and screw your rearend up.. badly
          WE CAN REBUILD IT, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Comment

Originally posted by Blip55
            same problem in my car dude, its your gears (in your diff) have them changed. if you let it sit like that, eventually it will basically blow the hell up and screw your rearend up.. badly
            A grinding/rattaling noise/ coming from around my shifter/tranny is my rearend gears??

Comment

yep. I have a rebuilt transmission dude, and the same exact noise. It feels like its your tranny, its not.

mine scratches in 2nd, 3rd, and a little in 5th

Comment

really? interesting... so an upgrade to 4.10s, an Auburn, and aluminum DS wouldn't be a bad idea for the next upgrade, eh? :banana: :banana: :banana:

Comment

... thats a good upgrade.... your taking out ur old, crappy busted up gears

Comment

Wait! Bad info in this thread. If your confident it's coming from the shifter area, then it's not the differential. If it was the ring and pinion gears it would make the noise in all gears, not just 4th and 5th.

Comment

I know what he's talking about, and it's not really about which gear you're in, it's more dependent on what speed you're running the engine at in any gear. Mine is more of 3rd 4th and 5th when I'm running pretty much anywhere below 2k. If you're in 5th running about 42ish MPH and you give it about 1/4 throttle or more, you hear it. If you downshift to 4th, the engine is running higher, and there is no sound.

And about my synchro for 2nd gear (which is what I think it is) about 1/2 of the time when I'm downshifting to 2nd (slowing down for a turn) I'll have the clutch in, put it in second, and begin to release the clutch, and the shifter pops out into neutral. Rev matching just a little bit usually helps. Anyone else have this problem?

Comment

fix yo synchro :P

(friend has same problem w/ 3rd gear... its ur synchro dude)

Comment

Yeah, a lot of time and a bit of money involved with that though. Maybe over the summer sometime, but not right now when school is in and it IS my DD...

Comment

Originally posted by Disruptore4
                            I know what he's talking about, and it's not really about which gear you're in, it's more dependent on what speed you're running the engine at in any gear. Mine is more of 3rd 4th and 5th when I'm running pretty much anywhere below 2k. If you're in 5th running about 42ish MPH and you give it about 1/4 throttle or more, you hear it. If you downshift to 4th, the engine is running higher, and there is no sound.

And about my synchro for 2nd gear (which is what I think it is) about 1/2 of the time when I'm downshifting to 2nd (slowing down for a turn) I'll have the clutch in, put it in second, and begin to release the clutch, and the shifter pops out into neutral. Rev matching just a little bit usually helps. Anyone else have this problem?

42 in 5th is chugging the hell out of the motor. if you chug the car in any gear its going to make noise.
                            1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

nah man, not chugging? i put my car into 5th at 45 if im going to be at that speed for a while, pops it down to like 1500 :P

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X