The 4 dollar "polyurethane" transmission mount fix - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 4 dollar "polyurethane" transmission mount fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 4 dollar "polyurethane" transmission mount fix

Perhaps this can become a sticky. I really wish I would have taken pictures.

After I broke my third transmission mount, I didn't want to spend another 70 bucks on a soft mount, and I didn't want to do a money order for an ES mount online. So I went to home depot to look what they had, and in the paint department I found a tube of "PL Polyurethane construction adhesive". Heck, it's worth a try I figured.

What I did was after I removed my mount, I drilled a hole in the top and drained the hydraulic fluid that was in it (the replacement mount I got was hydraulic). then I cut a small hole in the tip of the tube and filled the mount with it. I then built up a "mound" around the bottom (where the bolt goes through the crossmember) to add additional stability. I let this sit for about 3 days to cure. I just bolted it up about an hour ago and went on a 20 minute drive. Immediately I noticed no more shifter bounce, shifts feel much firmer (even on a stock shifter), and even with a 2 piece driveshaft, the whole drivetrain, etc. feels a lot stiffer. I also did about 4-5 clutch dumps from 5k to see how it responded, and I was very surprised. Minimal shifter movement and not as much noise as there was before. I didn't notice any vibrations other than the noises and vibrations that were already there. Just thought I'd share this cheap, easy, and effective way to stiffen up your mount.

Re: The 4 dollar "polyurethane" transmission mount fix

sounds like an inventive idea, but i'd just spend an extra $16 for a poly mount rather than not drive for 3 days.

Comment

go to autozone and buy a prothane poly one for $20?

Comment

I've thought about doing this too. Could be a best of both worlds - extra strength of a tougher core with enough rubber left to keep the harshness out.

Did you do anything to flush the residual oil out of the core like swishing some acetone or other solvent around in there?
        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
          Did you do anything to flush the residual oil out of the core like swishing some acetone or other solvent around in there?
          Yeah, I just used some gasoline and let it dry out. The biggest thing is waiting for the polyurethane adhesive to cure.

Comment

How long were the replacement mounts lasting?

Brian
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
              How long were the replacement mounts lasting?

Brian
              about a month.

Comment

Hmm... I'm not sure if I should try this or not. I just broke my fourth mount this year. I broke the original, two OEM replacements, and the poly one I have in there now is torn up after 3 months of driving. Its getting frustrating to say the least!!

I'm debating on making one out of a solid piece of aluminum, but I''m not sure what kind of stress that would place on the rest of the drivetrain :S
                Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

With out solid motor mounts too, it would break something. Usualy the transmision case.

Brian
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442
                    With out solid motor mounts too, it would break something. Usualy the transmision case.

Brian
                    So you're saying if I make all three mounts out of solid aluminum, I shouldn't run into any problems?
                    Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

You shouldn't break anything because nothing will move then. But you will feel every little vibration the car makes.

Brian
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dawizman
                        So you're saying if I make all three mounts out of solid aluminum, I shouldn't run into any problems?
                        Well, only if the car doesn't flex. And our frames do.
                        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
                          Well, only if the car doesn't flex. And our frames do.

They don't flex more than the 1st gen cars, and they are fine until you start running low 10's with no cage. The unibody is much stiffer than the old sub frame cars.

Brian
                          sigpic

Comment

http://www.turbofirebird.com/Default.aspx?tabid=75

Comment

haha how are you guys breaking so many mounts? I mean I broke them but once I went to poly, I started breaking trannies more.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X