stock rear ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock rear ends

Ok does anybody know if any of the F bodies came with the 3.42 gears, and LSD in the rear end from the factory....but had the drum brakes instead of the disc brakes...Dont ask why...I kinda like my drums in the back, despite the fact that they look like ***

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: stock rear ends

3:42s and lsd where an option :banana:

Comment

they might exist, but goodluck finding them. Why the heck would you want to keep drum brakes?

You would have to find a non Y87 car that ended up with the 3.42 LSD. I'm pretty sure it would have to be in a 96 or 97 car. But I doubt the 3.42 LSD rear axle was available without disc brakes.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
        they might exist, but goodluck finding them. Why the heck would you want to keep drum brakes?

You would have to find a non Y87 car that ended up with the 3.42 LSD. I'm pretty sure it would have to be in a 96 or 97 car. But I doubt the 3.42 LSD rear axle was available without disc brakes.
        see...I know it was an option...and when I go onto car parts website and look it up...I get a couple of yards around me that say they have 3.42 LSD rear ends but drum brakes....What Im concerned about is A) how do I know there not Bullsh*ting me and B) whether or not it came from the factory...because I dont want someone elses problems....and I dont know...I figure swapping in the same kind of rear end will be much easier then swapping in a rear end and having to worry about all the BS with the brakes and what not...like I want gears and LSD...easiest and cheapest install...and these rear ends are like 300$ so...

Comment

Y87 auto cars came with 3.42, LSD AND DISC BRAKES in the rear.

NO factory car came with 3.42, LSD and drums.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Well there you go. I guess I was right.
            From what I've heard, a disc brake conversion shouldn't be too bad.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well there you go. I guess I was right.
              From what I've heard, a disc brake conversion shouldn't be too bad.
              Its not... if you are swapping the rear end, its EXACTLY the same as swapping a drum rear end.

The only difference is you will need to change the e-brake cable.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                Its not... if you are swapping the rear end, its EXACTLY the same as swapping a drum rear end.

The only difference is you will need to change the e-brake cable.
                So what do you have to do to change e-brake cable? and will this effect my abs...I hate messing with important systems like the brakes... Also, how can you tell if the rear end has 3.42's? other then the RPO code...Im thinking of checkin these rear ends out but I'd be wasting my time if I cant tell if its 308 or 342's

Comment

If you're that worried about it, just replace the differential and the gears, and leave everything else the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Black98Fivespeed
                    If you're that worried about it, just replace the differential and the gears, and leave everything else the way it is.
                    You can do this but its pricey... I think a gear and diff install will be $600ish + labor.

To do a swap, just find the rear.

The only thing that will affect the ABS, is there is a ABS sensor on the top of the pumpkin. Its a little magnet that reads when a "reluctor ring" on the diff is spinning. As long as the reluctor ring, sensor, is all there you will be fine.

The rear I just bought, even came with the sensor in the pumkin, all I have to do is swap plug the connector in and my ABS will work.=

Important things on a rear swap.

1st, make sure its a 3-channel rear. There is a 3 channel and a 4 channel rear. This is an ABS thing. The 3 channel car has 3 abs sensors, 1 on each front wheel, and 1 on the top of the pumpkin. ALL V6s HAVE THIS. Next we have the 4 channel rear, which is traction control on V8s, not all have but it is an option. The sensors on are on all 4 wheels.

2nd, make sure it has LSD
                    All v8s and some V6s have it. The RPO code is G80
                    -older lt1s and some SS's come with an Auburn diff, its a clutch style diff, i think they are nicer but they are less reliable, and generally older since mostly found on Lt1s
                    -Most Ls1s came with Zexel Torsien LSD, which is a mechanical rear, more reliable.

3rd, Gears
                    RPO codes for gears(found on door, in glove, or center console)
                    GU6 = 3.42
                    Gu5 =3.23
                    Gu4 = 3.08
                    Gu3 = 2.73( I believe, you can double check the tech database.)

-Remember if you have an auto you will need to reprogram or you shift points will be off
                    -Also this will affect your speedo/odometer if you do not reprogram.

-4th, brakes
                    -Alot of rears will come with no brakes, you can swap your current brakes over if you want but a pain, and I hate working with drum brakes. If you swap your brakes you will need to pull the axles(not too hard) and undo the brakes and the brake lines. I did this once without even unhooking the brakes from my car, didn't have to bleed them or anything.

Or you can buy a plug and play rear for a 3 channel car, where you just hook it up, bleed it and go.

I have gotten a used z28 rear for as low as $100 and paid as much as $350.

$100 for a 3.42 lsd rear auburn 3 channel(ended up not trusting it so parted it out)
                    $150 for a 3.42 lsd rear auburn 4 channel(I tried to get it to work I did but a huge pain in the ***)
                    $FREE for a 2.73 lsd rear zexel, 4 channel
                    $350 for a 3.42 lsd rear auburn 3 channel all brakes and lines, even rear shocks (for my 3.4L, back in the day)
                    $250 for a 3.42 lsd rear zexel 3 chanel, out of a 2k2, with 10k miles. has Brakes, panard bar, lcas, shocks, pretty much everything. I got a reall good deal on this.

For what its worth the $350 one got ~100k while on my car and is still on the roads, I trashed all the others, and the $250 one is in my garage waiting to go in my car now(has the stocker I pulled out for another rear, but has auburn, and whines pretty bad, but still drives fine)

hope this helps.
                    Last edited by DAS BOOT; 10-13-2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                      You can do this but its pricey... I think a gear and diff install will be $600ish + labor.

To do a swap, just find the rear.

The only thing that will affect the ABS, is there is a ABS sensor on the top of the pumpkin. Its a little magnet that reads when a "reluctor ring" on the diff is spinning. As long as the reluctor ring, sensor, is all there you will be fine.

The rear I just bought, even came with the sensor in the pumkin, all I have to do is swap plug the connector in and my ABS will work.=

Important things on a rear swap.

1st, make sure its a 3-channel rear. There is a 3 channel and a 4 channel rear. This is an ABS thing. The 3 channel car has 3 abs sensors, 1 on each front wheel, and 1 on the top of the pumpkin. ALL V6s HAVE THIS. Next we have the 4 channel rear, which is traction control on V8s, not all have but it is an option. The sensors on are on all 4 wheels.

2nd, make sure it has LSD
                      All v8s and some V6s have it. The RPO code is G80
                      -older lt1s and some SS's come with an Auburn diff, its a clutch style diff, i think they are nicer but they are less reliable, and generally older since mostly found on Lt1s
                      -Most Ls1s came with Zexel Torsien LSD, which is a mechanical rear, more reliable.

3rd, Gears
                      RPO codes for gears(found on door, in glove, or center console)
                      GU6 = 3.42
                      Gu5 =3.23
                      Gu4 = 3.08
                      Gu3 = 2.73( I believe, you can double check the tech database.)

-Remember if you have an auto you will need to reprogram or you shift points will be off
                      -Also this will affect your speedo/odometer if you do not reprogram.

-4th, brakes
                      -Alot of rears will come with no brakes, you can swap your current brakes over if you want but a pain, and I hate working with drum brakes. If you swap your brakes you will need to pull the axles(not too hard) and undo the brakes and the brake lines. I did this once without even unhooking the brakes from my car, didn't have to bleed them or anything.

Or you can buy a plug and play rear for a 3 channel car, where you just hook it up, bleed it and go.

I have gotten a used z28 rear for as low as $100 and paid as much as $350.

$100 for a 3.42 lsd rear auburn 3 channel(ended up not trusting it so parted it out)
                      $150 for a 3.42 lsd rear auburn 4 channel(I tried to get it to work I did but a huge pain in the ***)
                      $FREE for a 2.73 lsd rear zexel, 4 channel
                      $350 for a 3.42 lsd rear auburn 3 channel all brakes and lines, even rear shocks (for my 3.4L, back in the day)
                      $250 for a 3.42 lsd rear zexel 3 chanel, out of a 2k2, with 10k miles. has Brakes, panard bar, lcas, shocks, pretty much everything. I got a reall good deal on this.

For what its worth the $350 one got ~100k while on my car and is still on the roads, I trashed all the others, and the $250 one is in my garage waiting to go in my car now(has the stocker I pulled out for another rear, but has auburn, and whines pretty bad, but still drives fine)

hope this helps.
                      Yea thanks man, thats exactly what I needed to know...Except cause its coming from a yard Im not sure if I can check the rpo code...so I was wondering if there was a way to tell just from looking at the actual rear end itself...where did your rear ends end up coming from?

Comment

you can count the teeth on the ring to see what it is...

I ot mine from online f-body junkyards, or local boardmembers that knew what they were.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X