AL driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL driveshaft

is there a stickey on how to acutally install and LS1 aluminium drive shaft i read the above stickey seems to one long argument about what replacing the drive shaft will really do for you with the gernal concense being that they are extreamly easy to install ......and then no info on acually doing so .....sort of self defeating

Re: AL driveshaft

You have a 2-pc steel DS. Unbolt the middle support hangar-looking thing (1 or 2 bolts near the middle of the driveshaft)

Take out the 4 bolts (2 on each U connector thing) where the DS goes into the rear-end.

From there, the driveshaft will slide right out from the tranny. Install the new LS1 DS

easy, you can figure it out easily by lookin underneath the car
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

thanks bad ill check it out.....do you know were i could find some before and after picts that would help out alot
      Last edited by BigNic; 10-07-2007, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Hardest part is getting the driveshaft, and finding somewhere to raise the car up so you can work without layin' on your back.

Comment

i put one on my 3.4 a couple weeks ago. it was a pain getting it out, the middle joint hanger bolts were a little frozen, plus theres not alot of room to get at the top bolt. after i got those out just take the 4 bolts out of the back, gave it a few taps with the hammer to free it up from the rear end. one problem i have with it is when i put it in park and it rolls a couple inches it make a little pinging sound not sure if this is normal, but i think it might have something to do with the U joint, i bought a new one but one of the bearings looked kinda bad

Comment

It should take you maybe 30 minutes after getting the car jacked up in the rear.

Slide under your car, you'll see the long driveshaft...attached to the rear are 4 bolts. In the middle of yours will be a couple bolts also.

Get em off, slide it out...slide new one in, reconnect 4 bolts in rear.

Easiest install you'll do other than a whisperlid.
            Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by FloydSummerOf68
              It should take you maybe 30 minutes after getting the car jacked up in the rear.

Slide under your car, you'll see the long driveshaft...attached to the rear are 4 bolts. In the middle of yours will be a couple bolts also.

Get em off, slide it out...slide new one in, reconnect 4 bolts in rear.

Easiest install you'll do other than a whisperlid.

don't make any promises to him, i installed an al d.s. on my 3.4 2 weeks ago. If the center bearing bolts are frozen, then your in for a long journey. We soaked the bolts for days and still ended up having to cut them off, hopefully u will be luckier than me however besides that part it really doesn't get much easier than a d.s. install.

Comment

nice.....:tup:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X