im an idiot. differential help please! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im an idiot. differential help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im an idiot. differential help please!

so i read some tutorials on differential installs. i figure what the hey, lemme finally install mine.

i had gotten an eaton/auburn one. the clutch type.

so i pop off my diff cover, pull the pinion shaft and the two gears on it, pull the c clips and the axles, and pull the two big bracket things that hold the diff in.

now, i cant get the diff out. ive read you have to pry it out. how hard?

so aside from that. the differential i bought also has 3.42 gears. ive got a 3.4l so i should have 3.23s stock. now i assumed a gear change was something you could do yourself but i've read more and...its not.

so what should i do?

1. pull the whole axle and take it to a shop to have finished.

2. put the 3.23s on the lsd.

3. just put everything back and try again some other time.

<a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Re: im an idiot. differential help please!

take the hooked end of your crowbar and get it under a ring gear bolt and pry it up. since you didn't get any tools before hand i would just pull the whole rear end and take it to a shop and have them do your gears. they are a little bit tricky.

Comment

if u dont know what you are doing you can easily break something. be careful
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

i ended up keeping the open diff.

i couldnt get the ring bolts off the lsd so i didnt even bother to try to remove the open one from the housing.

i think ill just look for a disc rear with an lsd already in it.

would the eaton/auburn lsd use the pinion shaft from the open diff? the lsd i got didnt come with one, and the open diff's almost fit but i didnt want to force it.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

yeah I thought I could do mine myself NO leave it alone cause it will probably whine there is an art to setting up a rear-end get your parts then take it to a pro. Just my .02

Comment

I'm just going to get a z28 rear-end and go from there :P

I've looked around and can't find any info on whether or not the tranny from a z28 would fit our cars, and whether or not it'd be practical to do it. Any insight?

Comment

Originally posted by notsonic
              i couldnt get the ring bolts off the lsd so i didnt even bother to try to remove the open one from the housing.
              You know those bolts are reverse threaded right? righty loosy:)

Comment

yeah i know. it kept spinning in my vise. i should have stuck something through it but i just wanted to get the car done for today.

i also wasnt really sure about the pinion shaft so i didnt want to end up with the posi in with no shaft.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X