Strange noise? Not sure what to think. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange noise? Not sure what to think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise? Not sure what to think.

Okay so when my car is idle or just sitting there idling...I hear a sort of chattering/rattaling noise coming from under the car. Around the transmission/oil pan area. However, when I push the clutch down and put it in a gear it goes away. Then when I take it out of gear and release the clutch it comes back. The car seems slower off the line these days. And I've had times when it doesnt want to go into 1st or second gear. Which comes and goes. Its a 97 3.8 with 114k miles. Any ideas?

Re: Strange noise? Not sure what to think.

Originally posted by Chris2088
    Okay so when my car is idle or just sitting there idling...I hear a sort of chattering/rattaling noise coming from under the car. Around the transmission/oil pan area. However, when I push the clutch down and put it in a gear it goes away. Then when I take it out of gear and release the clutch it comes back. The car seems slower off the line these days. And I've had times when it doesnt want to go into 1st or second gear. Which comes and goes. Its a 97 3.8 with 114k miles. Any ideas?

Not sure youe exact area but it could be the heat shield on catalytic convertor ratteling. By your description thats what I'm betting.
    Originally posted by kala
    I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
    parting her out

Comment

hmmm..then why would it go away when I put it into gear...and come back when I put it in neatral and let off the clutch. Its also a new high flow cat.

Comment

throwout bearing maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2088
          hmmm..then why would it go away when I put it into gear...and come back when I put it in neatral and let off the clutch. Its also a new high flow cat.
          It did it to me on a 6 month high flow catco and it did it to my buddys stock cat. Just jack car up and start it and go under while its ratteling and check.
          Originally posted by kala
          I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
          parting her out

Comment

I will have to agree with coolbet 13. When I use to have my clutch in and not in gear my car would make a wierd almost rubing of metal sound that was coming from around the transmission. I replaced the throwout bearing and my problem was fixed.

Comment

hah i have the opposite noise, it makes it when the clutch is pushed in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X