Driveshaft Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft Removal

I just got an aluminum driveshaft yesterday, and I went to install it today. I followed the Haynes manual's instructions to remove my old one. Undo the 4 bolts, the two clamp looking things, and then slightly prying and it should pop off. The problem I'm having is that it won't pry loose. It does look severely rusted, so I might just have to pry harder, but I'm having a heck of a time getting it loose and wanted to check if I'm missing anything or not doing something right.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mike

Re: Driveshaft Removal

Put a long screwdriver between the pinion and the u-joint and pry one side loose then it should come an outeasy.

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I figured it out. The problem was that rust had sealed them together. After about 3 hours of soaking it I was finally able to get it loose. The rust was horrible, I even bent one of the crowbars I was using because it was so stuck together.

Mike

Comment

Wow, thats a lot of rust. A 1LE driveshaft is on my list of initial mods to my bird. Just hoping my unit gets activated for some Stateside duty so I have the spare cash to spend >.>

Comment

Yeah the rust on the driveshaft and axel is horrible. It seems like the owner before drove it through a salt storm :) . I mean we do get some bad winters, but jeez it's horrible. I think Paint on Rust or whatever that stuff is might be my next project. Oh and the driveshaft is the first mod I've done other than deleting the progressive door locks and having my cat straight piped.

Mike

Comment

Did you notice any difference?

Comment

the alum driveshaft- you won't really feel a difference. you will see a little difference in the 1/4 mile not much of anything!
              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

No you really don't notice the difference, especially cause I was only going from a one piece steel and not the two, but I still figure it's an easy mod and it will make somewhat of a difference in times.

Mike

Comment

Only tracks I have around here are 1/8 mile..:( I'm gonna go make some runs on those before I start modding the car so I know where I'm starting. Might even go do a dyno pull and/or visit my dad so I can go to the 1/4 mile strips where he lives.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X