shift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift kit

Ok im confused, How exactly does a shift kit work?...like I've been reading about them and they say you can hold 1st 2nd and 3rd to ANY rpm...How would you do this?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: shift kit

its a manual valve body shift kit that lets you shift like that, if this is a street car you DONT want it. basically you just move your auto shifter through gears. the companies that make them will also reccomend that you do not use them on the street. you'd be better off with a regular shift kit, you could also check out a B&M shift plus modual. its an electronic plug in to you PCM and tells your computer to boost line pressure. making your shifts a little firmer and quicker. i put one on my car and it was deffinatly worth the $40 i paid for it. you can adjust the firmness too. its not going to be as firm as a real shift kit but you can feel the differance

Comment

Originally posted by HossV6
      its a manual valve body shift kit that lets you shift like that, if this is a street car you DONT want it. basically you just move your auto shifter through gears. the companies that make them will also reccomend that you do not use them on the street. you'd be better off with a regular shift kit, you could also check out a B&M shift plus modual. its an electronic plug in to you PCM and tells your computer to boost line pressure. making your shifts a little firmer and quicker. i put one on my car and it was deffinatly worth the $40 i paid for it. you can adjust the firmness too. its not going to be as firm as a real shift kit but you can feel the differance
      Yea, I dont think thats going to do much for me though, since I already had my shifts firmed up on my tune...The shift kit I was looking at was the transgo one, I need it for both strip and DD driving though, so looks like that will be no good...But I could have sworn it said 2 modes one for driving and one for hi performance?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE
        Yea, I dont think thats going to do much for me though, since I already had my shifts firmed up on my tune...The shift kit I was looking at was the transgo one, I need it for both strip and DD driving though, so looks like that will be no good...But I could have sworn it said 2 modes one for driving and one for hi performance?

you could call transgo and see what they say, i looked at the manual shift from transgo and it said it was only reccomended for the track, mabe they have 2 versions. but from what i understand and have been told, it would be a PITA on the street, and very jerky shifting. i was told it feels some what similar to neutral droping it into drive, if you are just cruising on the street

Comment

Originally posted by HossV6
          its a manual valve body shift kit that lets you shift like that, if this is a street car you DONT want it. basically you just move your auto shifter through gears. the companies that make them will also reccomend that you do not use them on the street.
          You are thinking of transgo's stick type shift kit. What they mean by hold any gear to any rpm is the same thing as you are able to do now. If you put it in first it doesn't go out of first till you move the shifter. but if you put it in drive it will start in first and work its way up on its own. A stick type is basicly a manual with no clutch to push in.

A shift kit will also enhance the speed at which it shifts as well not just the line pressure. It works by having the valvebody taken apart and modifying the path in which the tranny fluid flows. The best way i can compare what the results would be like is if you were to install a short throw and a stage 2 clutch on a manual car.
          Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

I have read through this thread and looked at Transgo's site and it seems like the two model numbers for their shift kits are 4L60E PSK and 4L60E-S PSK with the -S being the one that must be shifted manually, correct? If that's correct, can anyone tell me which one that is being sold by Thunder Racing here: http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=5&pcid=57

Thanks,
            Mike

EDIT: It also says that it can be installed without removing the transmission, is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWizardofOz
              I have read through this thread and looked at Transgo's site and it seems like the two model numbers for their shift kits are 4L60E PSK and 4L60E-S PSK with the -S being the one that must be shifted manually, correct? If that's correct, can anyone tell me which one that is being sold by Thunder Racing here: http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=5&pcid=57

Thanks,
              Mike

EDIT: It also says that it can be installed without removing the transmission, is that true?
              Yes the one with the -S on the end is the stick type. The one on thunder racing looks to be the correct one. I would call or email them to be sure. Summit sells them as well, thats were i got mine, Before i sold it. It can be done with it in the car but it is much easier if you can take the tranny out.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, and I'm sorry but I still have a few questions. I will call and ask, but you said that the one on Thunder Racing is the correct one, which one did you mean? I would prefer the one that does not require you to shift manually and would still be driven like a normal automatic. My other question, which I will try to search the answer to, is if I have never pulled a tranny and don't have a tranny jack, would it still be easier to pull the transmission out?

Thanks again,
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TheWizardofOz
                  Thanks for the quick reply, and I'm sorry but I still have a few questions. I will call and ask, but you said that the one on Thunder Racing is the correct one, which one did you mean? I would prefer the one that does not require you to shift manually and would still be driven like a normal automatic. My other question, which I will try to search the answer to, is if I have never pulled a tranny and don't have a tranny jack, would it still be easier to pull the transmission out?

Thanks again,
                  Mike
                  The one on thunder racing looks to be the one you are lookin for, it will retain all the stock functions of the automatic while giving you all the improvments you are looking for. As for the install, if you have never pulled a tranny before and do not have a jack i would say leave it in the car if you plan on doing it yourself. I personally decided after watching the video that doing it myslef was a chance i didn't want to take. I did my cam myself and i thought it looked to difficlut for me to do. So if you have never done anything that in depth i would say have a tranny shop do it for you. Just my personal opinion though, I didn't want to take any chances since i have to drive the car everyday.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Watching the video first will probably be a good idea, but I'm almost positive I don't wanna have a shop do it for me. It just doesn't give the same satisfaction. Also, my mindset has always been "balls to wall" when it comes to modding anything. Sure you might break it, but in the end you learn to fix it and then you know that much more. It is a little easier for me though cause I'm 17 and I don't have to drive my car everday if I mess it up. I'm close enough to school that I can walk, and if I needed it I can find a ride to work on the days I need it if my car is out of comission for a few days.

Thanks for all your help again,
                    Mike

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X