Clutch Is Stuck Engaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Is Stuck Engaged

Ok So Today I Go To Start My Car , Put A Rebuilt Engine In , Clutch, Etc The Whole Nine Yards, I Hit The Clutch Pedal I Have Like No Pedal..... I Bleeed It About 6 Times A Little Air Comes Out But Still The Clutch Wont Disengage, Now When My Dad Pulled On It With A Bar It Disengages So Ive Come Down To The Point Its Either A Master Cylinder Problem Or A Slave Cylinder Problem...... Now When The Slave Cylinder Pushes Out As Sooon As It Meeets Resitance To Push The Clutch Out It Doesnt Not Go Any Farther!!!! It Wont Disengauge The Clutch So I Was Wondering Wut Htis Oculd Be Either A Slave Cylinder Or Master Cylinder Is Shot, Yes There Is Fluid In It, Also I Neeed To Kno If There Is Any Test That Can Be Done To Check Master/ Slave Clyinder Thnak You Very Much

Re: Clutch Is Stuck Engaged

sounds like a master, but since your doing all that work, you need to just do both. if you ever change one, you should change both cause the other one will end up going soon enough
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Does the pedal have pressure? If not keep bleeding it, try a mightyvac, not the traditional method.

I'd say its probably the slave, but I would change them both.

Comment

yea i feel pressure on the pedal when i push it in aobut 8 inches then it gets a lil more resistant, but not at first...... also i rember when i got the car about a month ago the pedal did feeel stifffer so im thinking theres alot of air in there but idk

Comment

first thing I woudl do is go spend $25 on a mightyvac and bleed the system.

Comment

What kind of fluid did you put in? DO NOT use brake fluid. Use the GM hydraulic clutch fluid ONLY!
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

ok welll if someone can help me out on how to vaccum out the system it would help also i put brake fluid in tyring to fix the prob but i had the same result before i put it in so i dotn see how that could have cuased the problem

Comment

Originally posted by xtsniper0
                ok welll if someone can help me out on how to vaccum out the system it would help also i put brake fluid in tyring to fix the prob but i had the same result before i put it in so i dotn see how that could have cuased the problem

Brake fluid is NOT intended for moving parts. Hydraulic clutch fluid has lubricants for smooth travel.

My clutch was "sticking" and I had black "stuff" in the fluid. I changed to the GM fluid and now the pedal is smooth as silk and no more black "stuff" (which is the seals degrading) in the fluid.

Raven

Comment

ok.... but its not thta its sticking , the rod in the slave cytlinder is only going ot a certain point and that is it, the problem is that cylinder is getting no force behind it to dissengage the clutch and in the automotive book it says u can use brake fluid
                  Last edited by xtsniper0; 09-19-2007, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xtsniper0
                    and in the automotive book it says u can use brake fluid

So it's wrong. Use it and ****up your seals.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                      Brake fluid is NOT intended for moving parts. Hydraulic clutch fluid has lubricants for smooth travel.
                      Master cylinder pistons, caliper pistons, rubber seals - brakes have pretty much the same moving parts that a hydraulic clutch does.

-Jeff
                      Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                      Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
                        Master cylinder pistons, caliper pistons, rubber seals - brakes have pretty much the same moving parts that a hydraulic clutch does.
                        No.

Brakes stroke a fraction of an inch. Brake fluid transfers pressure. The clutch strokes - significantly more. That is why the GM fluid is DOT3 with LUBRICANTS in it.

This is well know and discussed on the Corvette boards.

Using the GM fluid has made a SIGNIFICANT difference in my clutch feel.

Raven

Comment

Good point.

Now how to get clutch fluid that can take the heat of road racing? I've been using ATE Super Blue since it doesn't boil in the clutch line like the GM stuff has on me..
                          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

ok heres and updatee.... i put a new master cylinder in clutch pedal has alot more pedal to it but the cluthc still has to ocme out another .5 inch to dissengage , its not the salve cylinder because when its discocnected it comes out all the way and there are no leaks etc, the fork is installed right but we are going to double check it tommmrow, could this be air im wondering?

Comment

ok now otday i completely toook alll the air out of the system and i still have the same problem im starting to believe its the slave cylinder, but its not lekaing any fluid so i ididnt think it was bad

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X