Problems with A4 tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with A4 tranny

So i start my car and it seems to surge forward but it doesnt because there is something holding it back. I press the gas and the rpms dont go up all the way like they normally would. Put it in reverse and i have nothing. Put it in neutral and the car goes forward but kind of on and off and will only stay in one gear. Drive works fine etc etc. I have a feeling this has to do with my long overdue tranny mount that has needed to be replaced.

I have had this problem before and putting the shifter in neutral and mashing both the gas and the brake seem so get it back into shape. Anyone have any idea whats going on? Is it my shifter linkage or my tranny mount or my tranny or all 3?

Thanks
    Mystic Teal Metallic
    ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Re: Problems with A4 tranny

Can anyone help or should I post on FTV6?
    Mystic Teal Metallic

Comment

I don't know for sure but it sounds like the manual selector valve might be out of sync with the detent assembly. What I mean is that although you have selected neutral, if the manual selector valve is not in the proper position for neutral, some pressure might be finding it's way into the drive circuit. And when you select reverse, the alignment might be so far out that not enough pressure is getting to the reverse circuit.

To confirm this, ignore the detents when your shifting. Slowly move the shifter until the tranny engages the selection you want (like drive or reverse). If the tranny engages between detents then you will know the manual selector valve is out of alignment or adjustment.
      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

well is your trans mount shot? Have you gone under and checked it out?

Usually you would hear the trans hit the tunnel and/or the shifter moving all over. Does it seem like there is pressure pushing the shifter a certain direction?
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

im pretty sure it's not a tranny mount problem so you can rule that out

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

i need a tranny mount but that problem has been there for a while. Im going to swap a 5 speed in

any writeups?
            Mystic Teal Metallic

Comment

i wrote this just for you

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=82112

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

i heard that A4- M5 swap was a night mare
                1999 White Pontiac
                A4, slp loudmouth, pacesetter headers, ws6 wheels, SLP cold air kit, wings west kit

:rock:

Comment

where the hell did you read that?
                  and might i ask, do you believe everything you read?

Comment

i didnt read it, the amount of things you need and the trouble it is to change it out, its easier just to buy one thats already got it in it...but its only an opinion, so theres no need to get defensive about it
                    1999 White Pontiac
                    A4, slp loudmouth, pacesetter headers, ws6 wheels, SLP cold air kit, wings west kit

:rock:

Comment

yea its the the tranny mount if it was the tranny mount you would feel the back end(tranny raise) when you give it some gas

Comment

Originally posted by tcrocker162000
                        i didnt read it, the amount of things you need and the trouble it is to change it out, its easier just to buy one thats already got it in it...but its only an opinion, so theres no need to get defensive about it
                        just saying if the tranny in your car is already going out, and you have the option to put a new auto in, or put in a manual, the cost is going to be pretty much the same.
                        But you are intitled to your own opinion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X