Rear Axle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle..

I have been reading these forums for a while now, decided to create a account so I could actually post since i have a question now.

I bought a whole posi/lsd rear axle off e-bay was supposed to be from a 01 firebird, I have a 2001 Camaro Convertible, was decent price saved alot shipping it to work. Came with the brakes.. etc also.. I figured would be a nice upgrade and not break the bank. I am beginning to think it is not a LSD differential though, I could be off the mark here though so wanted to get some input.

If I turn the axle on one side the other side should spin the same direction on a posi and if open will spin opposite direction correct?

..Kevin

Re: Rear Axle..

Thats right...a true posi will turn both the same direction

Comment

I thought I was correct, but I don't like to have confirmation not makeing some dumb mistake. I am upset that I did not get what I want, but if I went through headache of installing it.. I would have been really upset!

Thank you for quick response.

Comment

if it has a LSD it would be the zexel torsen. I have a truetrac differential (same worm gear type) and if I spin one tire the other one spins the opposite direction.

Comment

I popped off the rear cover, real easy when not in the car. Is there way by looking at it to know which it has then?

..Kevin

Comment

post up a pic

Comment

Kevin: Compare your internals to the "Inside of the Zexel Torsen" sticky at the top of the forum.
              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Just got done with pics, but I will check out the torsen on the forums, see if I can figure this. Thank you for all the help.
                Attached Files

Comment

that looks like the zexel torsen to me

Comment

yes thats a torsen posi carrier
                    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                    1994 Camaro - Sold
                    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Thank you, I was looking at the pics on top of the forum and mine.. just was not sure found part number 9022 that matched up with the faq on Torsen website, but did not want to go through headache of installing without being sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jdkvice
                        Thats right...a true posi will turn both the same direction
                        Yea... thats kinda wrong. Wanna know if you have a limited slip? Light em up, count the marks. If you wanna know if your car came with it from the factory look on the door/glove box and find the G80 code.

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
                          If you wanna know if your car came with it from the factory look on the door/glove box and find the G80 code.
                          Read the thread... he bought this off Ebay for his car :spank:

Yes, it will spin opposite directions. If you paid under $300 for a "complete" axle, I think your doing good.
                          FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
                          Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
                          Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X