3.42 gears common in all v6 camaro's? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.42 gears common in all v6 camaro's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3.42 gears common in all v6 camaro's?

Yeah, not all manuals came with 3.42s, 3.23s were standard as Dawizman said.
    ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Ok, dumb question here...
      Whats so great about LSD and 3.42s?
      I have codes GU6 and G80.
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Well, 3.42 is a lower gear ratio (the higher the number, the lower the ratio) which means quicker take off (assuming you get traction), but usually means higher RPMs at speed. LSD helps with traction by sending power to both tires instead of just one during tire spinning situations.
        ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

I thought this car seemed faster than the 99!
          Thanks for clearing that up! Then would it be ok to assume lower numbers mean higher top speed but less accel, and better MPG? So LSD is really only for take off, this is what I assumed.
          I guess this explains why my car always shifts at 3K, no matter how damn slow I take off!
          Would this be a great setup for a manual? I really want to convert!
          sigpic

Comment

Nimrod your lucky (G80) :-P My car does the same thing tho, if you let off the throttle just a hair you can get it to shift earlier (DD situations of course). Im still getting used to the throttle in mine, haven't even had it a week :)

P.S. Stick with auto! 3500 stall and a built trans rips at the track! :)
            Last edited by greasemonkey; 09-17-2007, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by silvachris1
              Yeah, not all manuals came with 3.42s, 3.23s were standard as Dawizman said.

NO, no manual V6 came with 3.42. 3.42 is ONLY an automatic option as part of the Y87 package.

This is all in the database info if people would bother to look at it.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
                Nimrod your lucky (G80) :-P My car does the same thing tho, if you let off the throttle just a hair you can get it to shift earlier (DD situations of course). Im still getting used to the throttle in mine, haven't even had it a week :)

P.S. Stick with auto! 3500 stall and a built trans rips at the track! :)
                LOL I know! Yea mine does the same, takes forever to shift if I take off slow. But would it do well with a manual? Plus manual is so much fun, had it in a 99 camaro. Also im not up for a stall, DD...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                  NO, no manual V6 came with 3.42. 3.42 is ONLY an automatic option as part of the Y87 package.

This is all in the database info if people would bother to look at it.
                  All I was saying is that some people claim to have stock 2001-2002 5speeds, and find 3.42 gears when checking inside the pumpkin. I guess they counted the teeth. I know it wasn't optioned by GM, but that's what the threads were about. Supposedly some of the last 2 model years had them 3.42s tossed in without the optional package.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawizman
                    V6 5sp came with 3.23 ... 3.42 is optional on all v6's
                    IIRC the Y87 manuals had 3.23s
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Why would they put such low gears in the auto V-8's?? 2.73 is really low (j/w)

Comment

maybe because people who buy automatics would generally be the ones that like the car and went for the v8 but aren't going to be racing it, so they get a little bit of gas milage in the mix too? I don't know, just a guess.
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

3.42 and lsd on my car but then i went with 3.73 now with lsd :)
                          2000 camaro rs:whisperlid, 2.5 magnaflow exhaust, catco high flow cat, fast toys cai, 3.73, 160 power stat, msd 8.5 wires ngk iridium spark plugs, hpp3, zzp w/p and alt. under drive pullies, 1.9 Rockers/LS6 Springs with ls1 retainers

Comment

4.10's are def the way to go, with LSD of course :banana:

Comment

i have stock 3.42 in my 95 auto camaro and dont think i have lsd but i did a big burnout at the track and had rubber on both 1/4 panels when i normally didnt have sticky on both sides after a small burnout oh well

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X