Synthetic gear oil? High mileage whip - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synthetic gear oil? High mileage whip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic gear oil? High mileage whip

Ok, well i have a 94 3.4 firebird and think that its about time to swap out my rear end fluid. Would it be a dumb idea to change my fluid to synthetic at this point? (130k miles)

I no that synthetic motor oil tends to find leaks on high mileage cars. But is the rear end the same way? Also, what about the power steering fluid and brake fluid. I know i do not have leaks in these areas, so would it be smart thinking to go ahead and change out these fluids for synthetics since i think its about that time anyway?

But im gunna go ahead and keep it on the safe side and stay with the best non syntheic motor oil so i dont end up finding leaks around valve covers and such.

thanks for your time and help

Noah

Re: Synthetic gear oil? High mileage whip

you would only want to put synthetic gear oil in the rear diff if your car came with it. Im pretty sure that fbodies didnt come with synthetic oil in there so you would be fine with just using regular ol' gear oil. And in my opinon, synthetic oil is too slick for the rear gears, and might cause them to grind.
    As for brake fluid and power steering, there arent really any places for there to be a leak, but i dont see why there would be any use for synthetic brake/powers fluid. And i may be wrong but do they make synthetic power/brake fluid?

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Re: Synthetic gear oil? High mileage whip

I just put royal purple synthetic in mine and its running file knock on wood. y car has 145,000 miles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X