bad bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad bearing?

okay guys i just installed my auburn LSD yesterday and not i have a grinding sound coming from the rear... the lsd is working fine but it grinds/howls could this be a bad set of bearings if so where can i get new ones?
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Re: bad bearing?

were they used? because i thought if you put used one's in they always make a skreaching sound

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

yah it was and why do you say that? i also figured it out the brake pad was slightly touching the rotor not sure how but its gone now
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

Did you put synthetic gear fluid in it? If yes, then you're in for trouble!

:)
        09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
        sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

no i did not
          2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
          1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

its always a good idea to replace the bearings when you do a rear swap, did you replace the races too, the ones that matched the bearings you put in there, and it could also be the gears were put back slightly differently so they are not within their previous wear pattern, several different things it could be

Comment

Originally posted by kala
              Did you put synthetic gear fluid in it? If yes, then you're in for trouble!:)
              y is synthetic bad?

Comment

i think it's something to do with being too slick. Synthetic gear oil isnt very good for rear ends

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by XgunsmokeX
                  y is synthetic bad?
                  Auburn= Hypoid (regular) gear oil + GM gear additive (96-98 f-body)

Zexel Torsen= Synthetic gear oil (99-02 f-body)

I always learn the hard way ;)

sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Originally posted by kala
                    Auburn= Hypoid (regular) gear oil + GM gear additive (96-98 f-body)

Zexel Torsen= Synthetic gear oil (99-02 f-body)

I always learn the hard way ;)

**** me. My Auburn started clicking a few days ago (1.5 weeks after install) and I have synthetic + additive. That's what the NAPA guy told me it called for. I hope I didn't ruin my auburn. :cry:

I guess the fluid gets changed tonight. :mad:
                    Last edited by 98 3.8; 07-09-2007, 10:13 AM.
                    1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Haha sorry man. I always learn things hard way too. I was pulling my hair out couple months ago just to find the right information. Then I went to my local GM dealership and had them look up the Master Book to find the correct info. Here's a post if you're curious what and how much stuff you have to buy. Please note I bought all my stuff from GM dealer.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=19

sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

I'm a bit skeptical...does it HAVE to be GM additive? Why would synthetic ruin an Auburn?

My noise also might be my DS u joints--I had a bit of play in them the other day but I thought I had gotten rid of it. The car goes back up in the air tonight to find out.
                        1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Read this thread. YOu will find answer :
                          http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=79421
                          Btw, I don't think it have to be dealer stuff. I would suggest you to get dealer stuff but I think any other brand would work too as long as you buy the right viscosity. I spent more than $140 for mine but it was job done right.

Originally posted by HokieBird
                          A synthetic is too slippery for an auburn. If you have an auburn you need some friction for the diff to lock. Hence, you put in the additive in your fluid.

Last edited by kala; 07-09-2007, 03:13 PM.
                          sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

But according to that statement (and other things I've heard), the additive will make synthetic suitable for the auburn.

I'm starting to think my clicking is the driveshaft yoke after all...

BTW: I did run synthetic WITHOUT the additive for a few miles. Once I put in the additive, I could instantly tell that the diff was locking correctly. Before the additive it would lock slowly/chatter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              2 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X