Short shifter brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short shifter brands

So I was thinking of upgrading and putting a short shifter in my 97 camaro. I was wondering though which brands you guys recommend or have tried and liked. I read the whole cutting part of the stick off to shorten the shiften but I want crisper shifting so I am upgrading. Is there drawbacks from a new shifter? Like more noise or anything like that?

Re: Short shifter brands

I went with a B&M Ripper Shifter. It works 10x's better than stock! It made a bit of noise about a month after installation, but it slowly went away. Installing one shouldn't take any longer than 45 minutes -for those who have never done it before.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird
      Search. There are a ton of thread that all repeat the same thing over and over about this.

cliff notes:
      -all reduce throw length
      -all make for firmer shifts
      -all will make more noise
      -hurst and 5.0 can have a shorter handle bolted on
      -hurst and 5.0 have adjustable stops

All will feel a million times better then stock and you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. Which one to choose is a toss up besides the shorter handle thing so just pick one and I'm sure you will be happy with it.
      That's what I was told
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

This is going to probably start a debate on which is better....but hokie is right. You can't go wrong with the Hurst short shifter or the Pro 5.0. They are both very good and so is the B&M short shifter.

The choice is yours.

Comment

lol those were the 3 I was debating on.

Comment

Well, if those were the 3 you were debating on , I would go with the Pro 5.0 short shifter. I hear nothing but good things about it, and I'm almost sure that's what most people around here go with.

If you do decide to get it, after you've installed it make sure that you write a review about it and put it in the review section. That way people that come behind you can read the great/bad review and be able to make the decision for themselves on which shifter they should purchase.

Comment

i love my pro 5.0

there is more noise, but i cant hear it over my exhuast anyway.

install is exactly what hockeyman said, roughly 30-45 minutes. ( i did mine at night and it was a PITA, do it in the daytime )

fwiw, ive heard of a few people switching from the ripper to the pro 5.0, most recently kristen said she wanted to.

ps- i cut almost an inch off my pro 5.0 and IMO its the perfect height. ( and theres still PLENTLY of thread on it so i didnt have to re-thread it. )
              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

I have read a bunch of stuff and I think I am going to go with the hurst billet plus and then buy the short stick for it from Lou's like that guy did who wrote a review for it in the forums. Probably going to get the straight stick instead of the one tilted towards the driver. Anyone think thats a bad choice or have used a few different ones and know which is better?

Comment

You want testimonials and debates on what you should get, start a poll on what type of short shifter people think is the best. All you have to put is two categories, Hurst and Pro 5.0 and any other type you feel obligated to doing. You will read and see the results for yourself.

Comment

i have the lou's short stick with the angle. the angle isn't huge but it gives a nice position for my hand/arm

Comment

Is there any specific model 5.0 shifter that works on our cars or is it the same for all T-5 transmissions (including for example mustang t5 shifters)?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X