open,lsd,posi,EXPLAIN??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open,lsd,posi,EXPLAIN??

i should probly know all this but i dont... so can u guys tell me what the difference is in these 3 rear ends? i was told lsd and posi were 2 different things i always thought they were the same, and my dad still dont beleive that open can spin both tires lol

Re: open,lsd,posi,EXPLAIN??

positraction/Limited-Slip Differential = same thing

Your dad is right. Open differentials by their design and function, CANNOT spin both wheels on any type of hard launch

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
      positraction/Limited-Slip Differential = same thing

Your dad is right. Open differentials by their design and function, CANNOT spin both wheels on any type of hard launch
      ok then why does my car leave 2 marks when i burn off? 1 being bigger then the other?

Comment

Sometimes you get lucky and they both spin together.

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
        '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
        '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

so what? is it a defect if open spins both tires? since its not supposed to? this is soo confusing

Comment

The point is you cannot transfer power to both of your back tires. This can be very noticable on high HP cars. Lets say you are traveling at 60 MPH, you get on it hard. You open rear would make you turn sideways, if your one tire could hook up. I had a 72 Chevelle that I had to perload the rear end. It had LSD but because of the slight delay in the second tire, my back end would move over when I got on it hard. If that had been an open and the one tire hooked up it would had turned me all the way around.
            Last edited by gman2000; 02-25-2007, 12:42 PM.
            2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

Originally posted by 96greenmachine
              so what? is it a defect if open spins both tires? since its not supposed to? this is soo confusing
              no, you're just making it confusing. With the two burn marks, you just got lucky on that time; weaker cars can sometimes get both wheels to spin with an open diff. and the right condition.
              Go out and launch your car a 100 times....I'm willing to bet you'll have 90 single-streaks and 10 double-streaks, with the passenger tire leaving the heavier mark

Comment

hmm ok so where is the code that shows what differential i have? and tell me what the 3 codes are for all the diff.'s

Comment

Originally posted by 96greenmachine
                  hmm ok so where is the code that shows what differential i have? and tell me what the 3 codes are for all the diff.'s
                  or how 'bout you do it yourself

http://tech.firebirdv6.com/generalspecs.html

Comment

Its the GU codes.

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
                    '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
                    '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by FireBird_Fr3ak
                      Its the GU codes.
                      not for the differential...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X