rear end ring gear question, please help - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear end ring gear question, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end ring gear question, please help

I have a 97 z28 rear end lsd, the ring is damaged and I wanna take the ring off of my 98-02 rear end and put it on the z28 lsd, along with the pinion from the v6 as well...my question: is the over all width of the v6 ring gonna make a difference with the z28 lsd? is it gonna work without making the rear end roar?

Re: rear end ring gear question, please help

please help asap, i have to get the thing back together within the next 3 hours at the most

Comment

if anyone knows something about setting up rear ends, please let me know, i put it all together and it's roaring just like i had inticipated, if you have any suggestions lemme know

Comment

the reason your gears are howling is because you didn't set the pinion depth properly. Our rear ends have to be set to within a thousandth of an inch in order to ensure quiet operation, so it's an easy mark for an amateur to miss. Your only option from the beginning was to take it to a garage and have them do the install correctly

Comment

oh i see. well i took it back out of the car and i stripped everything out of it... so if it howls when i let off of the gas, do you know if the pinion needs to go towards the front of the car more or towards the rear of the car more?

Comment

i just wanna make sure i have enough info to give someone when i let them do it

Comment

Originally posted by Red99L36
              i just wanna make sure i have enough info to give someone when i let them do it
              All you need to tell them is the gears are set up improperly. If the shop accepts the job, they'll have a pinion depth reader which will tell them exactly how much it needs to be adjusted, in any direction.

Comment

Did you get an Aburn differential? Since it's from a 97 Z28, it should be. You were saying in that thread for the Zexel that it would cause whining with the 98+ ring gear. I think you're wrong about that though. The Aburn with the 98+ ring gear is what's going to be a little bit more narrow. Either way, both should be able to be installed without whine. I'm not 100% sure about this thoguh. Kinda why I'm posting since I don't really know.... somebody inform us please.
                ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Originally posted by silvachris1
                  Did you get an Aburn differential? Since it's from a 97 Z28, it should be. You were saying in that thread for the Zexel that it would cause whining with the 98+ ring gear. I think you're wrong about that though. The Aburn with the 98+ ring gear is what's going to be a little bit more narrow. Either way, both should be able to be installed without whine. I'm not 100% sure about this thoguh. Kinda why I'm posting since I don't really know.... somebody inform us please.
                  you might be right...u know...come to find out, my damn diff has 1987 stamped on the back of it, so i think someone lied to me about the year in which mine came from..

Comment

Originally posted by silvachris1
                    What you're referring to is the series of the gear and carrier. 2-series gears are thicker than 3-series gears, and series number isn't determined by the year of the component

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                      What you're referring to is the series of the gear and carrier. 2-series gears are thicker than 3-series gears, and series number isn't determined by the year of the component
                      Ok, that makes sense. For some reason, I thought the Zexels were 3 series only. Shows what I know.
                      ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X