Hidden Treasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Treasure

I was rummaging around in my garage today and I found some rear end gears in a bucket. Didn't know what they were from or what they were. I counted the teeth and calculated that they are 3.42's. Later I asked my dad what they were from and he said that they're from a z-28. Not sure what year. I have a 94 3.4 Camaro 5 speed. Do I already have 3.42's or do I have 3.23's? Do these have posi? would it be worth it to put them in my car? Sorry for all the questions but I did a search and couldn't find my answers. I'm hoping these will work in my car because it would be pretty sweet to get free performance upgrades.
    94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
    97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
    98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Re: Hidden Treasure

Im pretty sure that the gears have nothing to do if its a posi or not. The posi is a whole new unit. also if they are an upgraded gear ratio. I would have a shop put them on, it is a very precise job.

Comment

It is the whole unit. I just wasn't sure what to call it. I know posi and gear ratio aren't the same thing, I just thought that maybe all cars with 3.42's also have posi. Don't cars with the y87 performance package have 3.42's and posi just like z28's and trans ams?
      97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
      98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

Yeah they do, but did you find just gears or a rear end?

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
        '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
        '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

What do you mean by entire rear end? I found the "guts" inside the rear end. Gears and differential.
          98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

So I have 3.23's right now, right? Only one wheel spins so I know I don't have y87. Do all 5 speeds have 3.23's?
            98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

check you RPO sticker to see what gears you have and if you have posi. searching will provide those codes.

yes all 5-speeds have 3.23s :)
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

If the gears are the original ones that came with the differential, then yes it will be a posi. The only way the 4th gens got 3.42 was in a V8 model or in the Y87 package.
                1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 98 3.8
                  The only way the 4th gens got 3.42 was in a V8 model or in the Y87 package.
                  Negative 2002s v6s got it as a base model (stock)
                  2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                    Negative 2002s v6s got it as a base model (stock)
                    Darn, I knew someone would think of an exception.
                    1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

So, am I correct to say that this rear end has posi since the gears are 3.42
                      's? Would it be worth it to go from 3.23's without posi to 3.42's with posi? I don't do a lot of highway driving so 3.73's wouldn't be out of the question, but then again these are free. How difficult would it be to install with the help of someone who's done it before (my dad)? I'm kinda worried that once I start modding this car I won't be able to stop haha. That's alright I've got some money reserved for it.
                      98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

personally, even though their free, i wouldnt go through the hassle. your speedo and odometer will be off unless you get it tuned, and for the very slight difference in accelleration, its not really worth doing it because you need a tune. if you have hptuners, or another hand held tuner ( hypertech and the sort ) this isnt a problem and yea it could be worth it.
                        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

he has the 3.4l so he cant get a hptuner or anything and the hypertechs are very rare. you might want to double check what year these gears and posi unit are out of and make sure the spline count is the same as yours as well...also exactly how many teeth did you count on the ring and how many did you count on the pinion?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X