• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise...

I have;
    1997 3.8 Camaro
    5 speed

Sometimes, when I first put my car in reverse I hear a sort of grinding noise. But it doesnt do this with any other gear. Also, it has 95,000 miles, when will I need a new clutch? And what would be a good choice? Thanks.

Re: Strange noise...

that noise in reverse is competely normal. The gears are rotating on the "rough" side of their teeth, hence the howling noise. When you need a new clutch is more dependant on what type of driving it's been under....if it slips, then it's time to replace it; if that happens at 20k, sucks for you..if it happens at 300k, more power to ya

Comment

Reverse is a non-synchronised gear. It will do it. My 2k did it at like 30k miles.

just put it in another gear before reverse, i got in the habit of putting it in 1st, 2nd, then reverser or sometimes just 5th then reverse. After awhile its like 2nd nature, don't even notice it.

Comment

Could be the throw out bearing starting to go. If it gets worse you can try this... Put it into second for a moment and then into reverse. That should stop the grinding. I had a bad throw out bearing and that worked for me until I changed the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
          just put it in another gear before reverse, i got in the habit of putting it in 1st, 2nd, then reverser or sometimes just 5th then reverse. After awhile its like 2nd nature, don't even notice it.

ya, that's what i do with my 1997. I just put it in 5th, then reverse., i don't even now i'm doing it anymore.

Comment

Yeah! I usually put it in 1st/2nd then reverse and it doesnt grind. But I was just wondering if it was a problem or what. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X