Torque Arm very frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Arm very frustrating

Ok so we got the motor and tranny in that was a trip to hell and back. And now we are trying to get the torque arm onto the differential. The front rubber piece is loose and we can move the torque arm around. Right now we are trying to get the 2 bolts through the differential. We have one bolt in no problem but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD we CANNOT get the back bolt hole to line it no matter how much we pry sideways on it it wont budge. Looking through the bottom I can see it is only about halfway lined up. We spent 3 hour last night prying, raising differential/frame of the car and hammering on the torque arm to get it to move and no go. Does anyone know how in the hell we can get the torque arm lined up every time we take it off and try to put it back on it is always out of place. This is the only thing holding us back below the car besides the drive shaft.

Re: Torque Arm very frustrating

oh man the toque arm is a real treat indeed!

what i did was jack the front of the arm up to make the bolts line up in the rear, see if that helps?

Comment

the springs cause the diff to rotate... I just put the jack under a shock mount, or the mount for the panhard rod, or even under the spring and jack it so it would rotate the diff forward. and I sometimes hammer it through a little :)

Comment

Tried both and no go. The differential is rotated correctly because I can get the first bolt through but the 2nd one only lines up on the bottom, the top is about halfway lined up. Any ideas?????? I think I've said about every cuss word and then some trying to get this thing on...

Comment

Originally posted by Tech
          Tried both and no go. The differential is rotated correctly because I can get the first bolt through but the 2nd one only lines up on the bottom, the top is about halfway lined up. Any ideas?????? I think I've said about every cuss word and then some trying to get this thing on...
          I am not saying to rotate it correctly, but to keep rotating it in an exagerated manner

Unless you bent/cut/welded your torque arm it will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
            I am not saying to rotate it correctly, but to keep rotating it in an exagerated manner

Unless you bent/cut/welded your torque arm it will fit.
            I am, in no way doubting your advice and I know it will fit correctly it is just being a pain. I was thinking, since my dad's work has a lathe and plenty of stock (metal), could I make a bolt (not threaded) that starts out small and then gradually increases to the diameter of the hole/bolt? I could make that and then gradually tap it in. Do you think this is a good or bad idea?

Comment

too much work... imo...

can you get one side in? or no? Pry it with a scredriver in the hole to get the bolts to line up. Then hammer it the **** through. Or if get the threads right up to it, sometimes you can turn it and the threads will pull its way through by the threads, then get a nut and you are golden.

Comment

it's the top that wont align correctly. We tried screwdriver and 1/4 in extension pryed and hammered as hard as we could and it wouldnt budge. I found a punch with a 7/16 diameter I will try that next...thanks for the advice/help.

Comment

cant believe its being that much of a PIA, any progress?

Comment

just got home from work, tapped the punch in and "ding" the torque arm sort of snapped into place, I put the 2 bolts in top and wiggled the torque arm up and down and both bolts slid through the bottom holes. Torque arm is tightened at both ends and driveshaft is in. Also pulled the crankshaft pulley and got the timing sensor switched from old motor to new. Apparently the place we bought the motor from dremeled the connection in such a manner that it wouldnt clip on. Tommorrow before work I am bolting up the P/S A/C Alternator and Radiator. Fill all fluids and hopefully fire it up!!!!

PS - I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X