Couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions

OK. My dad's getting new gears for Christmas, and I'm wondering if I'd be able to use his older ones or not? I'm thinking no, but I'd like to know for sure. They're coming out of a 1997 Chevy K-1500 truck. They're 3.73's in a posi, he's going with 4.52's. Also, if they by some chance do fit, he said there's a module that I can hook up inline between my tranny and my ECU that will adjust the signal for the different gears. Where can I find this (have done some quick searching, but no results), or do they not even make it for our cars? I'd like to do a mail-order tune, but I don't have the $$$ ATM, so this would be my best option (especially since I plan on going FI in the future, so I'd have to go with another tune).

Summary:
    Will gears and posi from a 97 K-1500 truck fit in my 97 Camaro? And is there any way other than a mail-order tune to adjust my speedo and all for the new gears?
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Couple of questions

im thinking their not going to work. im pretty sure tuning is the only way to adjust the speedo, and if you plan on going FI ( turbo im assuming? ) your better off with your gears you have now. is the same 10 bolt? im pretty sure you can use gears of a s-10, becuase its the same 10 bolt we have, but id assume the truck doesnt have the same 10 bolt.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

depends what type of rear he has...gonna need more info like the size and bolt number before we can say anything. No such technology exists as the module your dad is talking about

Comment

is this the "module" he was talking about? ttp://fasttoys.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=84_25_63_719&products_id=10 58
        you can order this non existant part for $169.99. or you could get the other non-existant part from jet which is called the speed control unit 2000 (SCU 2000)
        j/k smoke panther lol

come get some
        http://www.canyoumaketheturn.com/

Comment

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...oducts_id=1058

There's the speedo adjuster. And he has a 10-bolt, but that's as much as I know. I can't find it anywhere online, what it would be. He has a wierd year (in 97-98 they used a different tranny), so I haven't really found anything. I guess I'll go do some more googling
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

i've seen the s.c.u. 2000 be installed on 98 and prior cars AND trucks. so i'm guessing that the wires are the same leading to the tranny, but the connectors are different. so sum wire splicing may be involved. but i guess it would be with either one of the products. or you could go hptuners<- which would be your easiest route. WAY more expensive but easier. lol

come get some
            http://www.canyoumaketheturn.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 1999Spectre
              i've seen the s.c.u. 2000 be installed on 98 and prior cars AND trucks. so i'm guessing that the wires are the same leading to the tranny, but the connectors are different. so sum wire splicing may be involved. but i guess it would be with either one of the products. or you could go hptuners<- which would be your easiest route. WAY more expensive but easier. lol
              Well, I was looking into HP tuners, but it's too much $$$ right now. Maybe down the road when I finally decide to start building up my car, but right now, it's just not in my budget.
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Comment

If its GM 10 bolt than it will fit. they are all same from 89 to 02 i beleive.
                at least get posi out of his hands :)

Comment

Originally posted by iGoRa
                  If its GM 10 bolt than it will fit. they are all same from 89 to 02 i beleive.
                  at least get posi out of his hands :)
                  That's what I figured. Thanks. He's getting 2 new posi and 4.52's for the front and back (it's 4WD if you couldn't tell), so he said I could have his old ones with his 3.73's. Now, I just need an install kit, or would there be any way in the world to save the old crush sleeve?
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Comment

I thought that 4.10 are the highest gears you can get for 10 bolt.
                    If you stick with your 3.23 , all you need is lsd.
                    also make sure you have your ABS ring on.

Comment

Originally posted by iGoRa
                      I thought that 4.10 are the highest gears you can get for 10 bolt.
                      If you stick with your 3.23 , all you need is lsd.
                      also make sure you have your ABS ring on.
                      OK, and i guess 4.10's aren't the highest. All I know is that my uncle has them and he claims they're for a 10 bolt and will bolt right upto my dad's truck, so.... And I'm gonna go with his 3.73's, since I don't really plan on going FI any time soon (though would like too in the future).
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X