rear end's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end's

just a quick question, i want to put rear discs on my '97 firebird and the easiest way is to switch rear ends with a 93-97 trans am, correct? my question is could you use the rear end from a 93-97 Z28? thanks

Alex

Re: rear end's

yep same thing.... only difference is if it has traction control or not.

you will want one that does NOT have traction control(TCS)

Comment

oh alrighty, thanks man. :)

Comment

I will be doing this in the near future with my 97 as well. My question is, if the Z28 is sitting in a junk yard, how do you tell if it has traction control or not? What will I need to look for in finding out?

Comment

good question, thats what i forgot to ask. anyone?

Comment

none traction controle will have 1 line leading to the breaks the traction controle will have 2.
            None traction controle will have a T-valve over the pumpkin "diff housing" where the break fluid lines goto the calipers. and 1 will go into the front of the car.
            Traction controle the lines will leave the calipers and go to the center of the axle and both go to the front of the car.
            They break lines will run to the rear of the seats "under the car" behind the drivers side rear wheel . so when you look at the axle assymble look at the top of the diff house for a T valve where the calipers lines meet. T valve = GO V6!!

I was also told but have not seen for my own eyes that the traction controle units have an extra electrical. becouse i was thinking just reuse my old break lines and boom? but if it is such a issue i guess its not that reay and the traction controle units seem to cost more?
            Last edited by 01PewterDropTop; 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM.

Comment

a non-TCS rear had the ABS sensor in the top of the pumpkin, the TCS rear has the ABS sensors out on the wheels...there will be a sprocket on the end of the axle

Comment

this just came to me, why don't i want a rear end with traction control?

Comment

Traction control is a system, just like ABS, not a feature of the rear end. Having the rear does you no good without the rest of the system. The braking system of a traction control car uses a different setup on the rear, as stated previously.

Look for the NW9 RPO code - that is traction control.

http://www.funkz.net/firebird/rearendfaq.htm
                  1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBirdBlue
                    this just came to me, why don't i want a rear end with traction control?
                    Read the post above you: a non-TCS rear had the ABS sensor in the top of the pumpkin, the TCS rear has the ABS sensors out on the wheels....but i guess that wasn't clear enough. Sure, you can put a TCS rear on a non-TCS car, but you won't have your ABS active. There's nothing wrong with TCS, you run into problems when you try to mix the two

Comment

I just replaced my rear end, it was a pain in the arse.

Comment

old thread but did traction control come in the 93-94 z28's ?
                        1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                        1994 Camaro - Sold
                        1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Looks like 97' and up was a option for traction control. Looking at salvage yards.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I don't think it did. The rear end i picked up off a 94 TA didn't have it (which was a good thing for me)

But maybe there was some kind of performance option for it those years? I dont know..

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                              I don't think it did. The rear end i picked up off a 94 TA didn't have it (which was a good thing for me)

But maybe there was some kind of performance option for it those years? I dont know..
                              I think it was because they started to come out with disc brakes on the rears in 97'.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X